March 2023: what is easiest and cheapest way to exchange STORJ tokens at ZKSync wallet

There are some issues I’m not permitted to discuss due to my direct relationship with the company and US regulations.

That said, I can only present general risk factors and technical techniques in this thread, not make specific financial recommendations or risk assessments for individuals.

People are free to trust self custody more, or exchanges.
You must do what is right for you.
Other’s may choose different solutions.

The points are access, choice and control.
Self custody maintains more control over the utility tokens.
Exchange wallets offer less control over the utility tokens.
There is really nothing left to say on the topic.
People will make their own choices.

2 Likes

Just to add that the next month I was able to transfer USDT to Bitrefill. Saves 1 step. Don’t know why it didn’t work before.

1 Like

Hello guys, can someone give me a feed on how it works?

Prior discussion:

3 Likes

hello, same question.
i have 3 nodes with zsync selected. I’ve earn some storj.
don’t know how to convert in $ or €.

i have Metamask wallet but i’ve read so much topic … lost

Do withdrawal to L1 to exchange deposit address, then swap to stablecoin. Then sell stablecoin for cash. Some exchanges do the latter bit for free. I use coinbase.

ok let’s try
1 : alternative withdraw

2 select STORJ and the fee appear : $7.49

3 CONNECT WALLET TO PAY

4 i select matamask (the wallet i have but with 0 ETH

bloquer car je n’ai pas d’ETH …

comment faire autrement ?

merci

Do not use an alternative withdrawal, unless you do not control keys from this address. If you are control it, you may use the usual transfer from L2 to Ethereum: ZkSync Payments - Storj Docs

I try to summarize for bitrefill:

1. Swap Storj L2 on zigzag to USDT/USDC
  2. Bridge USTD/C orbiter finance from zksync to polygon
  3. Send on orbiter to deposit address from bitrefill

Did I miss something?

Do you know, that you may top-up a bitrefill balance with STORJ directly? (L1 and zkSync Era)

1 Like

No, I did miss this…

How does it work then? Opt in for zksync era. And then it is still at L2 how to proceed then?

Bitrefill has no option for any zksync

This should only be used for zkSync Lite. If you a receiving payments on zkSync Era you can’t use ZigZag, but you can withdraw STORJ to L1 for a small fee (~1.50 USD at time of this post) that takes 24 hours to complete: txBridge • Transfer funds between Ethereum and zkSync

Bitrefil supports other tokens/coins through Li.fi: How to top up my Bitrefill balance by paying with tokens from my wallet? – Frequently asked questions

but as of this post it seems to be disabled.

1 Like

That’s it: There is on bitrefill nothing about zksync or lifi or something else:

you need to click on More Chains below, in the mobile view it’s not in the list of tokens, but below this selector.
But right now it’s broken, I think they would fix it soon.

It’s also not available for Desktop:

You need to click the link in the description below the list. I do not know, why they changed it like this for the mobile phones (even in desktop mode).

Does it actually work for you right now? Can you post a screenshot? I’m too stupid to find it too. I get some 404 errors when I click “Connect wallet” or the cog symbol below for instance. This site is a mess right now.

Can someone summarize how StorJ tokens works via ZkSync Era?

Yes, L2 transfers are cheaper than L1. That’s clear.

But I can’t wrap my brain about bridges / liquidity / wallet connections. So, questions:

Connecting via bridge

If I have an existing ETH wallet and want to start using ZkSync Era, I need to connect the wallet. What does that mean? Does that mean that ZkSync will be able to control my wallet? Or does the connection creates the account in ZkSync system? Or what does the connection do?

When I go to the bridge page, I see that I need to enter amount. What amount of ETH do I need for connecting? Or I don’t need any ETH for connecting? Or does that bridge page do 2 things: 1) connects wallet and 2) send funds and so I don’t have to do both?

Liquidity

I see few messages about low liquidity of StorJ tokens in ZkSync. Does that mean, that StorJ rate in ZkSync is different / more volatile than StorJ rate in L1?

ZkSync Lite vs Era

When looking at the docs here: ZkSync Payments - Storj Docs

It’s confusing, because half of the page is for ZkSync Lite and other half is for ZkSync Era. Can you have separate pages for Lite and Era? For example the section "Complete Send to Ethereum" - is not needed for Era. Right?

#Edit - Current Jan 2024.

Connect the wallet allow the application to, usually as a minimum, read the wallet address, read the transaction history - this is to allow the application to do things like show current token balances that you hold on the wallet, on the selected chain - it would be unusual, and a red flag if connecting the wallet asks to write anything.

No - only the person with the private keys control the wallet. Don’t use exchange wallets, where they won’t show you the private keys, as you are locked in - I.E if the exchange has issues, the wallet is lost and it’s funds. If you are new, MetaMask is good to learn on before looking at hardware wallets that lock away the private keys. (Private keys are often represented as a collection of words - keep these secure and never share them)

No - there is no account. Your account is essentially derived from your private keys, and only becomes known to the chain on the first transaction. On zkSync.lite, this use to incur an activation charge as it linked backed to L1 - on zkSync.Era this is no longer the case.

The important thing is your chain address, often in the case of Ethereum referred to as an ERC20 address. This address “can” be the same across all ERC20 chains i.e

Your L1 Eth Address, which you have the private key for in your wallet. - 0xEdC.....1
**is the same for**
L2 ZkSync.Lite - 0xEdC.....1
**is the same for**
L2 ZkSync.Era - 0xEdC.....1
**is the same for**
Any other ERC20 chain you choose to use...

Ok, so a bridge is use to move tokens between chains… I.E. you want to move some tokens from L1 to Polygon, or from L1 to zkSync.era or ZkSync.erc to Zksync.lite. To allow this, you need to have tokens that have liquidity on the chains, and for which the bridge is accepting transactions, and have tokens to pay the fee to make the transaction happen.

As all this level 1 and level 2 stuff grew from Ethereum, the default token that can be used to pay the bridge fee’s is ETH.

You will find, on different chains, and even on different apps you connect the wallet to - the transaction tokens which can be accepted are different.

In the case of Zksync.Lite - you can on and off (sometimes is get’s disabled) use STORJ tokens to pay for transaction fee’s across most of the DAPPS in the ecosystem.

In the case of Zksync.era - you can’t - there is a requirement on Era for a paymaster (technical stuff that hasn’t happened yet) which allows DAPPS to use STORJ as payment for transactions.

There is a very misleading post, that suggest STORJ can be used for payment token on L2 Era, however, this is limited to one portal provider who is providing a bridge that allows you to use Storj tokens - maybe that will grow, but currently on L2.Era you are very limited on what you can do with Storj as very few DAPPS support the token.

No that’s not what liquidity is - When the tokens are made (minted), in day zero of STORJ an absolute number of tokens was made on L1 Eth - lets say that’s like the total number of US $ in circulation in the world.

Now imagine you live in the America, and want to go to Europe and spend some euro physical money to buy stuff.

Before you head of on journey, you would probably visit a place where you can swap US $$$ for Europe money - for this to happen there is something we call a trading pair, in this case (US$ to Euro) and an exchange rate on how many Euro you will get to $$, less the transaction cost.

For all the above to happen - Liquidity is required, with the place holding enough Euro money to give you in exchange for your $$$.

(Sorry I know it’s really bad example, but trying to make it simple)

In the case of Crypto, and Storj - Lack of Liquidity refers to the lack of trading pairs on a chain, i.e. L2.Era plus a lack of alternative tokens to swap into i.e. USDC or ETH.

What you will find on Zksync.Era is there are a lack of trading pairs for STORJ on the DAPPS- that effectively means you can’t interact currently with L2.Era as none of the Eco System will accept the token - All you can do is sent the Storj to L1 or to L2.Zksync.lite, or use a Centralized exchange to swap the token.

On Zksync.lite - the ZigZag exchange allows people to run money maker systems - this allows them to advertise a pair like USDC / STORJ with a mark-up, and allow you to swap tokens - but this relies on these people having liquidity i.e. they have tokens to swap with you.

On Zksync.Era (and other chains) - there are decentralised exchanges that offer “pools” - this is where people can place their tokens, into a pool (remember someone owns this pool, and it’s probably not you - they can set the rates, and control how much money they make) which can allow token swaps - but be really careful - this is a number 1 exploit - pools are not validated, and can be easily spoofed to look like a proper token - they can be good, but would fall into proceed with caution.

If you want to use ZkSync.Era, you can keep the same address in Storj Node, just add the option for ZKsync-Era - There’s a post somewhere about it.

You can then visit the Zksync.Era explorer - connect you wallet, and you will see STORJ tokens when you are paid - All of this will cost you zero $$$

You can then either HODL them, or you can send to a L1 address - use the native bridge and pay in ETH, or use the STORJ 3rd party portal, and pay in STORJ.

Or you can send to Zksync.Lite and play around with the more extensive eco-system currently.

CP

3 Likes

Please note that the ¨technical stuff¨ meanwhile has already happened, please read the details regarding paymaster in the X/twitter thread linked here.