March payment drastically low?

here is february and march screenshot … march payment was 50% lower … half … ???

February’s payout included the last week of January.

1 Like

Those number looks quite good imo.

Long story short, nodes on low capacity drives won’t break even on live stored data, cold storage or whatever its called… but with high egress they may payoff all the hardware and expenses in a single month in theory xD

ofc if one is running a small system, and we just look at the basics… 1.5$ pr TBm for storage
that means that even 1TB hdd which uses less than 10watts for regular 7200rpm drives anyways.
my local costs for 10watts running for a month comes out to about 2.2$
meaning if i run a 1TB drive, and assume only “cold storage” then it requires egress to break even.

so with a 2TB drive the math is about the same, just double the capacity, and thus something like 2x1.5$ = 3$ and then you need to add internet costs, server electricity, hardware costs/wear

so really in any small node you are at the mercy of the egress profits, the TBm basically covers keeping a 2TB drive running and wear and tear on it or something like that…

ofc if you are lucky and win the egress lottery then lets say you have like 50mbit upload internet bandwidth, and storj pulls some egress for a full month at lets say 80% capacity… 40mbit, which is 4.8MB/s x 3600sec in an hour
17.28 GB/h so 415GB pr day so meaning one could push out like 12TB/month egress
meaning 12x20$ so 240$

ofc that is grossly unrealistic, i mean a 2TB node on a 50mbit internet connection running of a RPI is worth less than that, so it wouldn’t make much sense… but in theory it could happen.

assume that you are getting data mostly for long term storage, and then be pleasantly surprised…

2 Likes

March for me was one of the highest paid that I have seen, Im honestly grateful to be apart of this project. When I expect im getting less then I am I get a great suprise, payout fell on my birthday so I was even happier. One thing that helps is I don’t ever check how much I will be getting per month so when I see money getting put in my wallet it makes doing this so much better.
It also helps that I am pretty much zero dollars invested in this so I don’t have high expectations.

Found this post, this guy won the egress lottery.
might just be a test artifact tho, but who knows… it happened.

applying his stored data to egress ratio of 1 to 3 on to my previous example.
would mean over 120$ in a month for a full 2TB node with 50mbit internet connection
the earning calc is on his post.

i also doubt this would happen much for larger nodes, he had basically no data, so…

@deathlessdd yeah i ran a v2 for a couple of months or 3 and then started my v3 5 weeks ago, i basically doesn’t care or can even hope to make a profit on it for a good while still…
my system eats like 500watts, so going to need a good stack of drives to negate that.

How do you set up a system that eats 500Watts and only run STORJ? Sounds only possible with either really old hardware or you are running a GPU for mining, in which case you can’t expect STORJ to pay for that electricity :smiley:
I have a self-built homeserver running multiple stuff and it eats <70W with 4 HDDs connected.

i bought an decade old dual xeon server… didn’t know why it was so cheap… now i know
best energy savings i’ve managed to get is like 90% … and i’m even running the lowest wattage cpu’s
think i can get a couple of 120 watt ones if i want… xD

Well this becomes a costly adventure though my node uses a max of 70watts at full load, I try to be efficient as I possibly can be I don’t wanna do something that costs me alot of money either. My system normally uses about 20watts of power. I have an old xeon dual socket x5650 they dont even use more then 140watts together at full load though I don’t really run it anymore. I upgraded it to a thread ripper…

I just bought an old, used Ryzen 2600 when the new series got out, I think it was like 60€… totally worth it.
So far the earnings from STORJ are enough to cover all electricity costs and the whole costs of that homeserver including a 4TB HDD. So I can’t complain…
But there will be tough month with not much egress. Still, if my server eats 60W, it’ll cost me 11€ per month. I have almost 4TB of node space, so even without any egress I would get 6$ (~5.5€) per month, so I’m good with that. Already covers more electricity cost than it needs to run those HDDs. The server would run anyway.
So I can’t understand anyone who says “I’m out” because supposedly running a storagenode doesn’t cover his electricity costs. If that is the case, you screwed up building your system. Sell it and buy an RPI. Then you’re going to be fine. That setup will need <15W with a 4TB HDD which means ~3$ electricity costs with 6$ payment for storage without any egress.

mine is also dual 5600 series, but only the 4 core 5630’s, if memory serves then the x5600 are hex core and should pull like 60 - 80 watts pr cpu depending on if its the E version or X version.
i’ve been impressed by the processing power of it, did some benchmarking against a ryzen 3600 which is 6 core 12 threads and my server with 16 threads at 2100mhz or so wasn’t far behind, ran cinebench.

but yeah one can really see where the technological revolution has been over the last decade lol
got 5 - 6tb drives i’m going to install in the near future which will put me at 36tb with two zpools
that should hopefully put me in the positive range on running the server…

and yeah looking back then had i known it would suck down this much juice then i would have seriously considered another solution.

i just put a watt meter on the server itself … i mean the damn fans take like 40 watts each i think…and for some reason it refuses to run them at lower speeds, maybe i should get around to putting new thermal paste on the dies, maybe that can save me a lot of power…
and i will get rid of it when i have a replacement running… to much of a power hog

I think mine was different because I put watercooling on the cpus and removed the god awful loud turbine fans, I removed pretty much all the guts of unnecessary controllers and Ethernet cards, was a good running server for what I needed it for intel was ahead of the time with the xeons.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out the surge payout 2.5x. I did miss that and I was asking myself why everybody is complaining, I got more then the calculator is telling me!!

1 Like

I also had really small payouts for March, 3 nodes made a total of 100STORJ ~ 9$
1x rpi 4 4gb ram with 6TB HDD
1x rpi 3B+ 2TB HDD
1x Dell rack server with 6TB storage allocated for storj.

The nodes are running since December, all of them on gigabit internet in separate locations.
Any ideas what the problem might be?

How long is a piece of string?

Run the earnings calculator script (link above somewhere) and add the numbers up.

Edit: Also, there was no “payments complete” announcement yet. Did you get 15 payments, one for each satellite and node?

2 Likes

It’s quite clear this puppet is totally wrong at least https://storj.io/storage-node-estimator/

I was disappointed with the payout as well. But it seems saltlake is not into my favour (April):
Egress: 7.76GB
Ingress: 1.5TB

The previous test traffic also resulted in downloads, and hence the payout was not bad.
I’m defiantly storing stuff for free.

I’m trying to calculate my “lost races” for download or if this just a glitch. But I’ve got almost 1.3GB of log files for the past two months and powershell is screaming at me :slight_smile:

EDIT: it took me 9 hours to let the powershell script run my logs, on a 12 core 8GB server. I have almost 0 failed downloads

But what does accepted means? I have a cancel rate of 38%

3 Likes

Sorry don’t understand piece of string? how can i check that?
Yes i got 15 payments in total for last month.

Previous month’s where not that bad, and being in the first months with the nodes, i didn’t really bother about not getting huge amounts, but now after 4 months is disappointing.

The earnings estimator is WAY WAY off, i think if people would actually know how much they would be able to make, wouldn’t join it thats why its “OPTIMISTIC” if it be realistic nobody would bother setting it all up, or monitoring it. Not to mention trying to reduce downtime to under 6 hours a month.

STORJ, you want enterprise reliability, but why don’t you pay us for it?
I think if things keeps up, we are better of installing nextcloud in a docker and selling cloud storage for friends for 2 dollars/TB/month.

In my case renting out nextcloud storage space would bring me 28$ / month.

STORJ we urge you to do something because people will leave the network. The only reason im staying is because I’m hopeful you can make everybody happy.

4 Likes

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm tag :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+long+is+a+piece+of+string%3F

I meant, without any details nobody can answer your questions. What is the used space and the egress for each of the nodes.

Don’t use the estimator, it can’t predict what people really use. Use the earnings calculator script with your real data https://forum.storj.io/t/earnings-calculator-update-2020-04-10-v8-2-0-price-and-month-estimate

this puppet is just eye powder :joy: for people to join the network.
you will never reach these amounts

Very impressive logic! *sarcasm off*

STORJ pays you 1.5$ per TB/month for cold storage. So even without any traffic (which is quite unlikely) you would get almost as much as you are expecting to get from your friends…

1 Like

fake storj don’t pay what you already have on the hard drive