Mass trash data increasing on nodes

Did anyone observe a spike in data in the trash yesterday? I have some nodes and all of them have 200 300GB of trash suddenly from yesterday. One 2.5TB node got 400GB sent to trash in one day. Is that normal behavior?

Thank you,

Yes.؜؜؜؜؜؜؜؜؜؜؜؜؜؜؜؜

5 Likes

It does seem to be a larger-than-normal deletion… but still expected behaviour.

2 Likes

So what we see here is just customer leaving Storj and deleted their data? It must be a big one.

I beleive it’s the new bloom filters with bigger size. Your occupied space should shrink to what sats report in the left pane of the dashboard, so bigger trash is to be expected. That’s what we were asking for for a month now. See “Debugging space discrepancies” thread.

3 Likes

why that unhealthy excite, making topics every time a price jumps, and now at bigger one time deletion. You can check everything on Grafana

somedeletion

As You can see it was MASSIVE gains of ingress past 3 months, and You can spot some minor back fall few days ago, but it still going up. So someone deleted files, so what, maybe he was testing. Next week same customer might upload 2 times more etc. no point to excite oneself with that.

No. Not necessarily. Maybe files was meant to be there only for 2 weeks, customers will do whatever they want with files.

1 Like

Because running a node is like watching paint dry. So the smallest changes can get us excited! :wink:

4 Likes

On the right panel is a local Stat, on the left panel - the satellites Stat, if you mean the storagenode dashboard

1 Like

Sure, but somehow I still have over 2.000.000 files created before 2021-01-01 on my single node.
Am I to believe that someone is holding the files and paying for it for more than 3 years?
Or filters are, well… that good :slight_smile:

And… short investigation shows that someone tried it and isn’t happy with storj :stuck_out_tongue:
On my old 2020 node (full, not accepting files) has 100GB trash, and new node created 3 months ago, has 500GB trash of 3TB data. So that trash files are new data mostly.
I wish it was opposite :-/

Yes, I confused left with right, like when I took driver lessons :grin: :man_facepalming:t2:.

1 Like

As long as you stay on the right side of the road, you’ll be great :stuck_out_tongue:

Not necessarily unhappy, they may have a backup tool, which deleted outdated backups, or set an expiration date during upload, and now this data is deleted.
The deleted data also not necessarily was freshly uploaded (unless you compared each PeaceID), but could be a similar amount.

1 Like

Until I understand the logic behind what you wrote I dare to disagree.
How can an old overflowing node have the same files as a new node created afterwards. We are talking about hundreds of GB in the trash.
Even better, if they were the same files then more should be trashed from the old larger node. Repair is a small percentage.

I’m talking only about the probability to have similar amount of uploaded and moved to the trash. They are not necessarily the same pieces.
I do not compare nodes, especially new and old. Any coincident is coincident nothing else.