Migrate a node from alpha to beta version

Hi all!

My nodes has been is up and running for several days and everything is working well :slight_smile:

However, I just noticed that I may have not followed the right tutorial… I think I used the alpha one and the beta one…
So, I’m wondering if you could help me to answer these questions:

• Is it risky to keep alpha version?
  • How can I make sure it’s the alpha version? Or the beta version?
  • If it’s really recommended to use beta version, how can I safely migrate from alpha to beta? I already saw the update process on the tutorial (and I installed watchtower, that have already updated my node fe days ago) but I’m not sure if it’s really appropriate to upgrade to the beta version.

Thank you so much for your help!

No there is no risk, since the alpha and beta tags points to the same image.
However, it’s better to update your docker run command to accomplish instructions: https://documentation.storj.io/setup/storage-node#running-the-storage-node

Thank you!

So, in the docker run command, even if I first launched it with “–name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:alpha”, can I without any other update use the command “–name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:beta”?

Yes you can. Make sure you stop and remove the old container first though.

Thank you.
Another question. How can I retrieve the options I used with the docker run command? I’m talking about the options used with this command:

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped -p 28967:28967
-p 127.0.0.1:14002:14002
-e WALLET=“0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX”
-e EMAIL="user@example.com"
-e ADDRESS=“domain.ddns.net:28967
-e BANDWIDTH=“20TB”
-e STORAGE=“2TB”
–mount type=bind,source=“”,destination=/app/identity
–mount type=bind,source=“”,destination=/app/config
–name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:beta

Thank you!

No simple way to get the original run command. You can use docker inspect storagenode to get the metadata of your container, but there is a LOT of additional information in there and stuff is displayed in a different format. Might as well start with the instructions in the storj docs and fill it in again.

I actually found another way.
I just used the “history” command. It could be very long for some of you but as I created a dedicated VM for the Storj usage only, I didn’t used a lot of commands. So it was actually pretty simple to find out my original docker run command.

1 Like

Please, save it as a shell script and you will be able just run it

1 Like

Yes, this is what I did but I didn’t think about it the first time!

root@storj:~# pip install runlike
Collecting runlike
Requirement already satisfied: Click in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from runlike)
Installing collected packages: runlike
Successfully installed runlike-0.6.2
root@storj:~# docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                         COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                      NAMES
648f0f221c5a        storjlabs/watchtower:latest   "/watchtower storage…"   37 minutes ago      Up 37 minutes                                  watchtower
c78eeeb6d358        storjlabs/storagenode:arm     "/entrypoint"            6 days ago          Up 2 days           0.0.0.0:28967->28967/tcp   storagenode
root@storj:~# runlike storagenode
docker run --name=storagenode --hostname=ca1440f56881 --env=BANDWIDTH=100TB --env=STORAGE=0.9TB --env=WALLET=waldo --env=EMAIL=madave.utube@gmail.com --env=ADDRESS=waldo:28967 --env=PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin --env=GOARCH=arm --volume=/root/.local/share/storj/storagenode -p 28967:28967 --restart=unless-stopped --detach=true storjlabs/storagenode:arm
root@storj:~#

so on arm am i supposed to update my documentation to use :beta instead of :arm ?

i do think this for some reason skips displaying my explicit memory=650 flag which is super odd.

Exactly. It should even work without explicitly specifying the architecture.

1 Like