Mistake in Configuration - failed to dial storage node

Hello StorJ community,

since 3 days I try myself on StoreJ. I didn’t have any experience with the tokens beforehand, which put some obstacles in my way. Also that the default of the app data was on Program Data instead of AppData was a bit irritating. But I solved all problems.

Now everything should work, but the start hangs on the following error.

The first entry in the logs after startup looks like this:

ERROR   contact:service ping satellite failed   {
"Satellite ID": "..ID..", "attempts": 1, 
"error": "ping satellite: check-in ratelimit: node rate limited by id", 
"errorVerbose": "ping satellite: check-in ratelimit: node rate limited by id\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.
(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:138\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.
(*Service).pingSatellite:95\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.
(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.
(*Cycle).Run:92\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:71\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.
(*Group).Go.func1:57"
}

The second other error looks like this:

ERROR   contact:service ping satellite failed   {
"Satellite ID": "..ID..", "attempts": 6, 
"error": "ping satellite: failed to dial storage node (ID: ..ID..) at address adress.myfritz.net:28967: rpc: dial tcp ..MYIP..:28967: connect: no route to host", 
"errorVerbose": "ping satellite: failed to dial storage node (ID: ..ID..) at address adress.myfritz.net:28967: rpc: dial tcp ..MYIP..:28967: connect: no route to host\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.
(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:141\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.
(*Service).pingSatellite:95\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.
(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.
(*Cycle).Run:92\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:71\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.
(*Group).Go.func1:57"
}

The hostname it resolves is correct, because it resolves my IP external IP address correctly.
In addition, the port can also be called from outside with external tests, yet the connection is not established properly. Do you have any ideas where the possible causes could be?

I use MyFritz as DNS about Unitymedia Ipv4 available and a Win 10 as operating system.

Do you have a ‘real’ public IP address or a ‘private’ address from Carrier Grade NAT (-> DS-Lite)?
Dual Stack Lite (DS-Lite / DSlite)

Hello @Huskynarr ,
Welcome to the forum!

Please, use this checklist to troubleshoot an OFFLINE issue:

My Fail
Have open the wrong PC in my network. Now the TLS Cert Problem.

To perhaps help others. If you have a FritzBox, you can do without the service like DynDNS etc…

However, when sharing make sure that the PC name is correct. If you boot different systems, the Fritzbox changes the hostname after a certain time.

Let’s check point by point again.

1. Login to your router and write down the WAN IP. This is important. Just do it.
  2. Go to Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router and compare your WAN IP with IP there. They should match, otherwise the port forwarding rule will not work.
  3. Check your port forwarding rule on your router - it should forward 28967 TCP+UDP port to 28967 port and IP of your PC with storagenode. You should not specify the source IP, it must be either ANY or empty. The source network interface (if your router requires it) should be your ISP.
  4. Check your identity: Identity - Node Operator it should return 2 and 3, otherwise you need to sign the identity with a new authorization token
  5. You really should check your firewall. Make sure that you do not have outbound firewall rules. If you have them - either disable or remove.

Please, do not skip any step, you will find a mistake.

1 Like

Have corrected the post. Had because it was my ESXI server the hostname ESXI deposited in the Fritzbox. But because I now Windows always boot for mining & Co. the Fritzbox has now taken the Windows hostname Desktop-ABC123 and I have not noticed.

For other users: Check the Port Forwarding correct (IP AND Hostname). Trust is good, control is better!

Perhaps you mean the not signed identity. If so, please get a new authorization token and sign the identity.
Then please check it: Step 5. Create an Identity - Storj Docs

1 Like

That i have done already before. :smiley: But thx for the hint. I have do the step complete again.

Now i getting this message:

FATAL   Unrecoverable error     {
"error": "piecestore monitor: error verifying location and/or readability of storage directory: node ID in file (12V*****PNE) does not match running node's ID (12V*****P52)",
 "errorVerbose": "piecestore monitor: error verifying location and/or readability of storage directory: node ID in file (12V*****P52) does not match running node's ID (12V*****P52)
\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/monitor.
(*Service).Run.func1.1:131\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.
(*Cycle).Run:92\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/monitor.
(*Service).Run.func1:128\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57"}

Should i remove all again and try it again? :confused:

So, have solved all problems with a new clean install.

2 Likes

This is mean that you generated a new identity instead of signing the previous one.
If you want to lose node (12V*****PNE), then you should remove all data and perform the setup step again.

If it’s not intendent - then restore (12V*****PNE) from backup and sign it with a new authorization token, then try to run the node.