Mitigation of the consequences of a hard disk failure on server with multiple disks

Hi !

I’m running a node with two disks. The disks are RAID 0 configured. In a case of a single disk failure, the intire node will be impacted.

To mitigate the consequences of a disk failure, I would like to run run one only node on one disk. The blog gives some interesting explanations. I also have found interesting topics in this forum but I still have a question : Is it possible to run two docker containers on the same server with same ip or must I configure two virutal machines on my server ?

Thanks in advance.

Hogion

Of course you can, I have 5 running on the same server.

1 Like

Does the watchtower and the dashboard also work for all of your five nodes ?

Yes, stop and remove watchtower and then add the new node to the names of the nodes in the watchtower run command.

All dashboards work fine too. Just use a different “external” port for each node like -p :14003:14002.

Thanks for the advices.

Hogion

Hi !

One more question about running two nodes on two different HD on the same server: the documentation says linux node must be static mounted via /etc/fstab. Is this requirement only valid for the second HD or it must be implemented also to the first HD ?

Thanks in advance.

Hogion

You must static mount each drive through fstab for linux to make each one permanent. This allows you to mount each drive with its own path. The Storj directions clearly show how to do this for your first (and subsequent) drives. I believe Linux will automount your first drive if your first disk has the OS on it. So you can get away with not messing with your first drive, unless you move your OS in the future, which will wreak havoc on your first node.

When I created my first node, I used a single HDD for the storagenode dedicated for this purpose and boot off an internal SSD so the OS is not on the same partition/drive as the storage nodes.

Question form a newbie : in my server installed from scratch, the first HD is described in /etc/fstab with:

UID="..." / ext4 defaults 0 0

Is it possible to considered it as mountet?

Yes - see the comment I just updated.

Hi !

Thank you for your precious advice.

My post came quit a the same time as your update. Sorry.