Move Storagenodes from windows pc to dappnode

Hello,

I have two nodes on a windows PC. One of the nodes is running through Docker. I would like to repurpose this Windows PC with a different OS.

I am also running a DAppNode that has a Storj app. How can I move my nodes from the Windows PC over to the DAppNode successfully?

Appreciate any help!

Hi @alacey425

This might be a good place to start How do I migrate my node to a new device? - Node Operator
Please let us know if you need more assistance.

1 Like

I’m not sure that it’s possible to run more than one Storj package with DAppNode. The image and name are hardcoded.
You would need ssh to it and run the usual docker container with instruction for CLI: CLI Install - Node Operator
DAppNode is coming with docker by default, so as soon as you migrate identity and data with provided guide - you can run the container.

Keep in mind, Windows GUI stores data in the specified folder, but the docker version in the storage subfolder.
I.e. if you used in Windows GUI path d:\ for data, you should move the content of d:\ to subfolder storage in your Linux installation.
For example, if your disk is mounted as /mnt/storj, and folder for data is /mnt/storj/storagenode (--mount type=bind,source=/mnt/storj/storagenode,destination=/app/config), the storagenode container will expect to see its data in /mnt/storj/storagenode/storage

3 Likes

Thank you for your response. Both of my storagenodes began running at the end of March. My monthly earnings are only $0.01. Since I am not that technical with programming, what are the downsides to wiping the hard drive and starting over on the DAppNode? I have some programming experience but if moving the files is highly technical it may take a long time/opportunity cost to figure out.

Basically, I mine on my PC and have maintenance throughout the week. My DAppNode runs uninterrupted so I think that that would be better stability over the long term.

The DAppNode with provided package for Storj can run only one storagenode.
But you can import one of the nodes to the Storj package to do not start over.

If you want to run more than one node (you have more than one disk) - you should not use their package, and use the usual docker from the CLI instead. It gives you more options - like customize port or configure to use UDP or give the node a different name.

If you wipe the storagenode’s data - you must remove its identity too - it will be disqualified in this case and you will lost the held amount.