Moving house - what do I do please?

Hey all,

I am moving house next month and am hoping to get some guidance on what I need to do to ensure get set back up at my new location?

For context:

I’m running the node on a Windows 10 PC, currently I have a static IP and ideally I’ll have one at the new address too (but haven’t confirmed that yet).

Downtime should be a few days, definitely not more than 1 week.

Could anyone kindly point me to the steps involved in getting back online?

Thanks so much!
Ben

If the node is vetted - there will be no problems at all, just start it at a new place using updated new static ip or ddns

4 Likes

Then you should be fine. Your online scores will take a hit, and you’ll lose some data. But if you put your node back online as soon as possible, its online scores should recover 30 days later.

When at your new place, you need to restart your node after making sure it’s correctly configured for the new IP (or hostname) and ports (if they changed). Don’t forget to reconfigure port forwarding on your new ISP box.

If your new ISP does not offer static IP you’ll have to use a Dynamic DNS like no-ip.

4 Likes

Even if your ISP doesn’t offer a static IP (which it likely won’t) make sure they at least give you a public IP and don’t put you behind a CGNAT. You can usually ask them for this if they don’t do it by default. Just tell them you need access to your IP camera or NAS remotely or something. And make sure to specify that you’re not looking for a static IP or they may try to upsell you to a business connection.

2 Likes

hello, i am on the same situation, i moved to new house, waiting fot ftth to build up (eta ~1 month). temporaly i left my pc on old house but i must move it soon. i can set up a mobile network, with unlimited data 5g network, but is behind cg-nat.

my node is over 2 years old… wondering if its worthing to try with vpn with port forward (i dont have much experience on this) or take a risk and keep the node (8tb) offline for ~1 month and see if can recover it on the next month

While being offline for a few days is not a problem, being offline for a whole month would disqualify your node for sure.

You should find a temporary solution at a friend’s or in an another way if you’re sure to be offline for 1 month.

Yeah… I have no experience with cgnat or nodes on a mobile connection but it sounds like a pain to setup… Especially when you (and your mobile phone) leave your place for shopping or whatnot… I’d look for another option if possible. But if it’s the only way, then I guess a vpn (with port forwarding indeed) could be a solution.

2 Likes

I have mobile router and Extra sim but seems painfully to me to set up a vpn with port forwarding… i will see what i do in the next week, i have ~7 days

In this case (CGNAT) you need either contact your ISP for a public IP as

Otherwise you would be forced to use a VPN services with port-forwarding features like portmap.io, ngrok, PIA, AirVPN, PureVPN, etc.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the replies!

Is it much more difficult/worse to be on a CGNAT? e.g. is it likely to cause problems with my node?

Also, it’s been more than a year since I originally set this up, is there any documentation you might be able to point me to which can help remind me what changes I need to make in the setup? Thanks again!

Your node will not be available for the customers without using a VPN service with port forwarding feature.
So, I would recommend to contact your ISP first to obtain a public IP. It could be dynamic, but must be a public (your WAN IP will match IP on Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router)

Thanks! I am about to sign up for the broadband, so is there anything particular I should ask for to ensure I get this as easily as possible?

Also, any thoughts on this please?

Ask them if you get a public IPv4 address (static or dynamic). Tell them you need it “to access your security cameras” from the Internet.

2 Likes
  1. Create port forwarding rule
  2. Allow your node’s port for TCP and UDP in your firewall (only inbound rules)
  3. Update your ADDRESS option in your docker run command or contact.external-address: in the config.yaml in case of Windows GUI with your new address and port and restart the node.

General instruction is there: Step 3. Setup Port Forwarding - Storj Node Operator Docs
If this node is worked before, you must not run the setup command.

1 Like

Thank you!!

I might be forgetting, but I don’t think I remember completing step 2 when I first setup the node - is this a new step, or perhaps not always required?

Is there any documentation for that step as well please?

Thanks again!

If you mean the authorization token and signing process - it’s required only for a new node, for the working node it should be skipped.
The only step is to run your node with full docker run command (do not use SETUP=true!): Storage Node - Storj Node Operator Docs

1 Like

I was referring to your step two in your previous message “. Allow your node’s port for TCP and UDP in your firewall (only inbound rules)”

Is this new? Or any docs you can share regarding this? Or is it not relevant for an existing node which is moving location?

Thanks!

Did you click the link Alex posted? It’s all there. Scroll down to the sub-section “Make Sure to Add a Firewall Rule”

This is relevant to all nodes. If something blocks incoming connections, then the node won’t work.

4 Likes

Ah sorry I missed this, thank you!!

2 Likes