Moving of node to different hardware

Hi guys,

If I want to change node hardware from laptop (HDD connected by USB) to normal motherboard (HDD will be connected by SATA). Is it possible just to move SSD with Windows 11 to new motherboard and connect HDD to SATA? Storj data volume is about 1Tb.

Regards,
Alexander

Hi @Aka985
Just to understand… there is an HDD, containing the Storj blobs folder, connected to a laptop running Windows? You wish to move that HDD to a desktop PC? Also you say the HDD is connected by USB and will then be on SATA? Then there’s an SSD with Windows 11 on? I’m confused.

Please be more detailed in the exact hardware configuration of the old node and the prespective new node.

Okay,
Laptop - Win11 on SSD inside laptop connected by SATA, Storj blobs on HDD connected by USB.
I want to transfer Storj to desktop by moving SSD with Win11 to SATA, HDD to SATA on motherboard. Win11 will remain on SSD.

Is it possible just change hardware by this way without doing any Storj manipulation?

Regards,
Alexander

This isn’t really a Storj question, it’s more of a Windows migration question. The procedure you are describing is not recommended/supported by Microsoft or Storj. The official method would be to install a new Windows instance on the desktop PC and then run through a simplified migration process without copying the data, just moving the Storj HDD - How to migrate the Windows GUI node from one physical location to another? - Storj Docs

Now you should uninstall the storagenode Windows GUI version from your first PC and install it on the new PC following these instructions: GUI Install - Windows, but please skip the steps for receiving the authorization token and generating the identity.

You must provide the correct path to the locations of your copied identity and to the copied data during the installation wizard.

Listed below is a high risk process and is not recommended

However with that being said if you wanted to go down the route you are describing it is similar to something I’ve done before (but without Storj being installed). I would stop the storj services and set them to ‘Disabled’ on the laptop. Move the SSD to the desktop and make sure it can boot normally, reboot a few times, check the drivers are all installed, etc… Install the Storj HDD and ensure it is showing under the correct drive letter, if necessary update config.yaml to point Storj to the correct location. Finally set the Storj services to ‘Automatic’ startup, start them again and check the dashboard/logs for any problems.

2 Likes