Multi-node setup on same NAS

Hello!

I have my first couple nodes up and running on different locations and machines, but I have a synology box I’m trying to get running a total of 4 instances. How do I go about creating identities for the 3 new boxes? Once I have them in place do I need 4 total instances of the docker service running? I’m very meh with linux and this is my first time working with docker - so I’m somewhat an idiot. I have the first node online already, so I’m trying to do this without taking the existing instance offline. Below is the run script I’m setting up for the second instance - just kinda FYI.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

sudo docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300
-p 28968:28967/tcp
-p 28968:28967/udp
-p 14003:14002
-e WALLET=“thisismywallet”
-e EMAIL="bobwords612@gmail.com"
-e ADDRESS=“thisismyddns:28968”
-e STORAGE=“12.80565TB”
–mount type=bind,source="/volume1/docker/storj/multinode/identity_28968",destination=/app/identity
–mount type=bind,source="/volumeUSB1/usbshare/Storj",destination=/app/config
–name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:latest

1. You need to generate an unique identity for each node. I would recommend to place each of them to the related disk with data
  2. Each identity should be signed with a new authorization token
  3. You need to run as much docker instances, as you have nodes. Each with own identity and disk for data
  4. You need to forward unique external port to the unique port on your Synology. Your example looks valid.

See also How to add an additional drive? - Node Operator

To resolve the Offline issue you need to check your port forwarding rule and firewall on Synology.

1 Like

One quick other question - how do I go about activating the identities? I’m getting the key generated on my local machine since it moves 10x faster than the nas. Can I just activate on the windows box with the identity files in my appdata folder and move them to my preferred location on the NAS?

Is this the string to change to the directory where the identity is stored when starting the docker instance?

type=bind,source="/volume1/docker/storj/multinode/identity_28968",destination=/app/identity

Ok, I think I’ve got it - saved each of the new instances with their own keys generated from my machine to a drive I use for backups on my NAS (so raided and all that jazz). Generated the keys on my machine, moved the identity’s over to my nas after running the “./identity.exe authorize storagenode email:characterstring” command. So one by one made 3 of them, used a slightly different port. Move the files into separate folders per instance (/volume1/docker/storj/multinode/identity_2896*) and started the nodes. The bottom of this has the strings I’m using to start docker. My only issue - I can’t access the dashboard for these instances at the port I’m expecting. I should be able to go to 192.168.1.x:14003 to view the dashboard on the instance using 28968, right? Or do I have the ports backwards on the command? Thanks for the help!

sudo docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300
-p 28970:28967/tcp
-p 28970:28967/udp
-p 14005:14002
-e WALLET=“MYWALLET”
-e EMAIL=“myemail”
-e ADDRESS=“dns.ddns.net:28970
-e STORAGE=“12.996TB”
–mount type=bind,source="/volume1/docker/storj/multinode/identity_28970",destination=/app/identity
–mount type=bind,source="//volumeUSB3/usbshare/Storj",destination=/app/config
–name storagenode_28970 storjlabs/storagenode:latest

sudo docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300 \
-p 28969:28967/tcp \
-p 28969:28967/udp \
-p 14004:14002 \
-e WALLET="" \
-e EMAIL="@gmail.com" \
-e ADDRESS=".ddns.net:28969" \
-e STORAGE="12.996TB" \
--mount type=bind,source="/volume1/docker/storj/multinode/identity_28969",destination=/app/identity \
--mount type=bind,source="//volumeUSB3/usbshare/Storj",destination=/app/config \
--name storagenode_28969 storjlabs/storagenode:latest

sudo docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300 \
-p 28968:28967/tcp \
-p 28968:28967/udp \
-p 14003:14002 \
-e WALLET="" \
-e EMAIL="@gmail.com" \
-e ADDRESS=".ddns.net:28968" \
-e STORAGE="11.367TB" \
--mount type=bind,source="/volume1/docker/storj/multinode/identity_28968",destination=/app/identity \
--mount type=bind,source="//volumeUSB1/usbshare/Storj",destination=/app/config \
--name storagenode_28968 storjlabs/storagenode:latest

Still haven’t been able to figure out how to view the dashboard’s on the other instances - so if someone know’s what I’m doing wrong here plz let me know. Thanks!

As far as you know the nodes are all working fine, it’s just the dashboard isn’t viewable?

This looks correct to me.

If you used a different external port (the left port before colon) for each instance, you should be able to see them using this port, i.e. http://my-nas:14003, http://my-nas:14002, etc.
However, you need to allow connections from LAN to these ports in your firewall on your NAS.