Multiple machines on the same network

On the same network what is better in terms of earning, running two machines with one node each or running one machine with two nodes?

The machines we are talking about are raspberry pi.

Welcome to the forum, Rui!

In terms of earnings there is no difference. The amount of storage you will get will be the same whether you have one node or several based on the /24 network range you are in. You would have to be using two very different IP addresses on the Internet to be treated as two different operators.

4 Likes

in termns of technical bulets, 2 separete raspberrys more prefer. it isier to configure. And USB on raspberry is slow to connect 2 HDDs. Sucssees rate will be very low.

Sorry but this is not true, I have a storj node mounted with a raspberry pi 4 with 4gb of ram and the processor jumps between 18% and 36%, but mainly around 20% of utilization. And ram about 300 mb.

It is very unlikely to have problems, in this machine, with another node, related to the processing. Even 3 nodes may be possible but then it had to be tested.

you was talking about earnings, now you talk about processor jumps. Looks like you need to re-phrase your question so we understand, thanks!

Either approach will work. It depends on what else you might use the rpi for. If you aren’t going to use it for anything else, you might as well run the second node on there instead of getting another rpi.

I’m using ODROID-HC2s to run mine, and I run two nodes on each; one disk in the SATA connector and one USB disk. On one of them the 1TB USB disk is glacially slow and loses most upload races, but still is over half full after less than a week.

While USB is a bottleneck on RPi’s, that has gotten better with the RPi 4. And additionally because of the nature of Storj, when you run two nodes on two separate USB disks, each USB connection would only get half the normal load. The proof is in the pudding, but I think you’d be ok running more than one node on it. I wouldn’t go too crazy with it though. It’s still a low powered machine. So keep an eye on resources and if it doesn’t work out well, you can always move the second node to a separate device later.