Multiple node

Hello,

can you have more than one node under the same external IP address?

Thank you so much!

Best Regards

Hi!
Yes, you can.
They will share the traffic and will receive not more than a one node.

Hi

I can see both why and why not multiple nodes on the same IP should be treated as one.

(Before it becomes an argument, yes, VMs should be treated as one, because there is no way to check how many hardware nodes that is running the VMs, and yes, the software can check if the machine is a VM or not)

Why multiple nodes on the same IP-address should be treated as one node:

• They (most likely) share infrastructure
  • They (most likely) has multiple single point of failures, that could take down more than one node at the same time
  • Some people will say it’s unfair, that you could get more traffic by adding nodes.

Why multiple nodes on the same IP-address should be treated as multiple nodes:

• You can fake a multilocation scenario anyhow, by having more than one external IP-address on the same infrastructure
  • You spread the endpoint hardware risk, by having more than one node handling the data and (most likely) more spindels to handle the load.
  • Most common failures is server hardware related and not related to infrastructure in the Nordics at least, I don’t know stats for the rest of the world.

So, I can see both why and why not, anyone else have a point of view in this?

Costly

Doesn’t matter too much. Each piece of the same segment must not be in the same physical location or on the same ISP. If ISP will fail - the network lost more than a one piece of the same segment.

The same - each piece should be in own physical place.
If you lost a power, all pieces become inaccessible.

Most of the normal ways of getting more than one IP address from an ISP will still all be in the same /24 and still be treated as one too.

2 Likes

Hi,
I don’t understand what this sentence means. Can you explain it to me better?

“They will share the traffic and will receive not more than a one node.”

Does that mean I’m only getting traffic for one node?

Basically - yes. All your nodes in total will receive not more than a one node.
This is due decentralization nature of the network. We do not want to put more than a one piece from the segment to the same /24 subnet of public IPs. They are likely either belong to the one owner, or in the one ISP.

ok, so in case I have 2 nodes, 1 1TB node and 1 10TB node, what would happen to my nodes?

I think until one is full they would share data then the one would be full and the other would continue to accept data.

3 Likes