My disk is now full

Hi,
My disk is now full:

My setup is a laptop (windows) with an external hdd connected to the laptop through USB.
What options do I have to extend my disk? Can I copy data from this disk to bigger other one ?!

or buy another disk and start a new node…

1 Like

starting a new node means starting from “0” and wait another 3 years to get up to 12TB.

I want to stick to “extend” my disk plan :slight_smile:

Jup, but starting a new node is actually spreading the risk. What of this disk crashes tomorrow, one month from now or in six months. Besides, cloning it to another (bigger) disk leaves this disk unused behind.

I actually would have started another node some half year ago, if not longer.

1 Like

My plan is to move what I have in this disk (old one) to a bigger disk (so I will not use the old one for Storj when moving is done ). I have plans for the old one.

The question is: Do we have any guide on how to do it?

The fastest would be to clone the disk the new one. You could do what documentation says here How do I migrate my node to a new device? - Storj Docs, but if you can avoid copying individual files — you should.

1 Like

I would copy to a new disk and use the „old“ for a new node - so risk would be smaller…

1 Like

In Linux:

dd if={/dev/sdOLD} of={/dev/sdNEW} bs=1M status=progress

Only Linux/ext4: — Use parted to resize te partition.
Then resize2fs to resize the filesystem to the new partition size. — (TS is on Windows, so should use didkmgmt to perform this task).

Fully agree, that’s a real slow process. Only worth the time if you’ve got a real fragmented filesystem. And even then you should do it parallel to a running node in order to avoid any down time. The previous method (cloning) probably takes about 33 hours (assuming copy speed of 100MB/s for an external HDD). Copying file for file, may easily take >200 hours.

Good luck with that. But don’t come back crying when the node fails due to hardware failure :wink:
Seriously, spreading risks is worth it!

1 Like

I doubt that. Bathtub curve?

1 Like

buy the same for the new projekt, saves a lot of work. start a node on the new one if bigger than used. much more easy, less risk.

That sounds a good plan. But I don’t want to start from 0 again, I want to keep my 12TB and continue on them. Is that a possibility?!

yes, just clone the data on the old drive to the new,

make the new the same drive letter.

clone while node offline various programs availble,then resize the partition
or
get familar with rsync command.

You may use this guide:

Since you would copy locally, you do need to share a drive and can copy from the one disk to another.

1 Like

I don’t know the performance of robocopy, but I would again emphasize the performance gains of just cloning in comparison to copying.

So, the disk just can be cloned to the new disk. Afterwards, the partition size can be adapted with diskmgmt in Windows.

As stated above, the TS is apparently on Windows. I actually think you mean rsync, for which he should use WSL or bare Linux. Especially since you’re quoting a help page mentioning that tool. Rclone seems to be a tool for cloud storage.

It works faster that rsync, especially with increased parallelism (to some extent).

/MT[:n] :: Do multi-threaded copies with n threads (default 8).
                       n must be at least 1 and not greater than 128.

thanks, i did freudian slip confused me

Can’t find any benchmarking on it though.
But in the end, it remains mixed IO instead of sequential IO. But hopefully it can be used parallel to a running storage node?