Network statistics

Could you please explain, why you need that?

Just curious :slight_smile: Itā€™s not something public?

Itā€™s not. And as for available space, that would be based on nodes claiming they have that space available. It doesnā€™t meant they actually do. Additionally many nodes (including mine) would simply scale up available space as soon as itā€™s about to fill up. So it would be a fairly meaningless number.

4 Likes

Exactly this :arrow_up: reason. The capacity is elastic. More demand - more space available. Less demand - nodes leaves the network.
So this space capacity will not tell you anything.

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand WHY Storj Network statistics are not availableā€¦ so many years have passed. Blockchain is suppose to be transparent and yet no network stats.
Just compare to what SIA is showing at https://siastats.info/

Guys, why not network stats to this day?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Paktas!

V3 was a complete rebuild, so not many years have passed. The focus so far has been on getting the customer side up and running. The result of that is that Tardigrade is now the first distributed cloud storage solution backed by SLAā€™s similar to the three cloud giants. In order to do that, quality and profitability had to come first. The platform is now financially viable. Time has already been spent on getting more data for SNOs on the web dashboard with the release that will come available in 1.1.1 with more improvements expected. Global stats have issues like I mentioned before. Nodes may report things that arenā€™t correct and will grow and shrink with demand. But from what has been published I can tell you that Storj V3, though much younger is already at least an order of magnitude larger than SIA.

You threw in block chain as well there. Storj isnā€™t built on a block chain, it merely relies on tokens for payouts and itā€™s an option to pay for storage.

Stats like what you are requesting will have to come from the satellite which operate independently from each other. This makes it harder to generate network wide stats to begin with. Perhaps something like that will be built at a later stage, but it probably isnā€™t a priority right now.

That said, why would you want to know this? Other than just curiosity (in which case Iā€™m on the same page).

5 Likes

I would love the see global stats (pretty sure others too) to build TRUST on Storj. How itā€™s evolving, does it make sense to signup as a customer or as a host. No your network is blind. That does not add to trust building.
You did mentioned issues with stats like free space, but thereā€™s way more than that - used space, number of hosts, host locations, number of customers, used bandwidth etc.
This is all factors influencing if it makes sense to become a supply (host) or demand (customer).
Now thereā€™s nothingā€¦

2 Likes

I am fully agree that we need to have some global statistics about our network. If some statistic coming from storagenodes and canā€™t be fully trusted - I think better to show this statistic also with according remark. We need more different information about SNO statuses and client activity, indicators, etc ā€¦ This information can be very importent for posibility to compare performance and for posibiility to prepare some forecasts.

Itā€™s not mining, forecasts are useless. There is no usage patterns. The space and bandwidth are used by real people, not machines.
I really do not see any useful information from such stat except curiosity.

1 Like

Is this to use ā€œdivide and controlā€ strategy? So that hosts cannot have any information on global data and cannot influence any decision makingā€¦
We - the hosts, are the backbone of storage supply and yet we have to be in darkness without any consolidated information on how are we are performing as a group.
If thatā€™s the approach - this is sad news.

There is no conspiracy against the operators.
But there are laws restricting the publication of private information.
Anonymous information is published on blogs, for example, the latest one:

You can easily see your own statistics on the dashboard.

2 Likes

Forecast always is important - in the world we have a lot of ways for perform analisys and each can itself detect best way for own analisys. We investing some money for posibillity to support network, but we donā€™t see any indicators like total bandwidth in network (EGRESS/INGRESS), total space (used/reserved), monthly growth (acceleration) - if we will see al least this indictors then we will know that in middle each node have some potential to receive money no today - ā€œit makes no sense to start a node if there is no potential nowā€. If you want answer that this is not possible becuase payment also deppend from reputation and location - I say you that itā€™s very important information becuase I want to calculate my ROI and becuase tomorrow you will start lose your network becuase lot of nodes donā€™t have required motivation, canā€™t perform forecasts and have very small payments. STORJ can rent servers itself - but want to move risk related to ROI on SNO and hide importent information for forecasts. If all users will see this global perfomance indicators I am sure that part of nodes would not be installed and other nodes would have more increased payments. Network stability also deppend from this - becuase when STORJ will start lose nodes then network will use some traffiic for repair.

1 Like

Storj seems to aim to reward those with the needed motivation pretty generously. And these are the SNOs the network should be built upon, not the ā€œquitting after 2 monthsā€ types.

The simple truth is that the supply side is unlikely to be a problem. Nodes have already been more loyal than initially expected. I would like to see the same statistics too, but the vast majority of nodes wonā€™t quit just because those statistics arenā€™t available. My node makes money, why would I quit the network?

4 Likes

By the way, the information is not ā€œhidedā€, itā€™s just not available. Developers have a more important things on the table, than build the feature which doesnā€™t makes money and with only purpose to feed a curiosity. It could be built sometime though.
We expect from SNOs to be in the network for long term. The ā€œbring upā€ and ā€œbring downā€ strategy is not what we want to see (it will increase the nodes churn, thatā€™s bad for the network: https://storj.io/blog/2019/01/we-need-great-storage-node-operators-for-the-v3-network-have-you-got-what-it-takes-to-succeed/).
We suggest to use the hardware which will be online anyway - in this case all income is a pure profit, all costs already paid.

5 Likes

Hy SNOs,
is there an status page available, about the traffic, networksize, and which locations in the world contibute?! like an Network explorerā€¦?

The one i know is http://storjnet.info

2 Likes

Thanks @Arkina for this link :+1:

Thereā€™s a typo on this page by the way:
ā€œDuring this month 4,698 payments were sent for 599,487 STROJs, 127.6 on average.ā€

ā€œSTROJsā€ is mispelled. If someone from the dev teams sees thisā€¦ ^^

1 Like

Confirmed!! :smiley:

1 Like

Realized it was open source on github.
Created a PullRequest for this: https://github.com/3bl3gamer/storjnet-info/pull/6

1 Like