New node does not come online

Hi, I just set up a new node.

It is still offline, and I get this error

2020-09-26T20:34:22.945+0200 ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“Satellite ID”: “118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW”, “attempts”: 1, “error”: “ping satellite error: rpc: context deadline exceeded”, “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite error: rpc: context deadline exceeded\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.dialTransport:211\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.dial:188\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.DialNodeURL:148\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:124\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:95\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:92\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:71\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57”}
2020-09-26T20:34:28.300+0200 ERROR nodestats:cache Get pricing-model/join date failed {“error”: “payout service error: unable to connect to the satellite 118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW: rpc: context deadline exceeded”, “errorVerbose”: “payout service error: unable to connect to the satellite 118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW: rpc: context deadline exceeded\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/payout.(*Endpoint).dial:229\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/payout.(*Endpoint).GetAllPaystubs:105\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/nodestats.(*Cache).Run.func1:80\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/nodestats.(*Cache).satelliteLoop:259\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/nodestats.(*Cache).Run:79\n\tstorj.io/storj/private/lifecycle.(*Group).Run.func1:57\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57”}
2020-09-26T20:34:43.946+0200 ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“Satellite ID”: “118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW”, “attempts”: 2, “error”: “ping satellite error: rpc: context deadline exceeded”, “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite error: rpc: context deadline exceeded\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.dialTransport:211\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.dial:188\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.DialNodeURL:148\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:124\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:95\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:92\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:71\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57”}

I must say I got the invitation a few months ago. Is that the reason?
Other things like firewall and port forwarding are OK AFAIK.

The Stefan satellite is shutdown, so you can ignore those errors. Do you have FATAL ones?
If not, then use the offline troubleshooting checklist:

EDIT: open port SOLVED, node still offline (see below).
Removed the rule, put the port forwarding rule in the modem again (exactly the same) and now it works.
At least, the port is open. Node is still offline but that might take time.

Thank you, there was something wrong as the local network was detected by Windows as a public network, bloking the service. However, I checked all this and it is still offline.

1. Restarted the service
  2. Set the local network to Private
  3. Disabled Windows Firewall on Private networks
  4. Checked port forwarding on router (public IP is correct, internal IP is correct, port forwarding is to the correct port and IP)
  5. Added a firewall rule just in case port forwarding does not create that rule automaticall (Zyxel modem)
  6. Restarted modem (I won’t do this again as, because of a problem with my ISP, it takes hours for it to come online again)
  7. Disabled modem firewall altogether
  8. Checked open ports again

Now I am at a loss.
Is there a way to check the port:

1. On the local machine
  2. From a machine in the LAN

I tried Putty on the 28967 port, it shows an empty screen. When restarting the service Putty aborts “software caused connection abort” so obviously the port IS open in the LAN.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

EDIT: It is ONLINE! (1h40 min up)

The port is now open for almost an hour, node is still offline.

Do I need to do anything (but wait)?

You really should not leave either of these disabled, and especially the modem firewall. If you are still having trouble, I’m sure it can be sorted out, but disabling firewalls shouldn’t be necessary and is a huge security risk.

1 Like

The wait do not help.

For the identity check please use this article: Step 5. Create an Identity - Storj Docs

All nice remarks but the Windows box is behind NAT. Firewall don’t seem necessary to me.
AND: it really took 2 hours to get online.
Thats reality.