no the thing is that I cant put my ip adress because it has a fixed number and you can only change the last part.

the port shows up as closed, I dont know why you put port 80 instead of 28967 but both show up as closed with my ip adress and my .hopto adress.

do I have to do what you did and request a fixed ip from my ISP?

Where can you not enter your IP?

I didn’t put port 80 there, the web site did, as a default. But your 28967 is correct.

What about the firewall in the SN?

I cant enter my ip in the port forwarding section, where the entire thing was blurred out.

also I did put the rules in the advanced firewall settings, so that’s not the problem here

You are trying to enter the wrong IP address there. This is the destination address, i.e. the local IP of your SN.

For most people that will be 192.168.0.x. The reason you can’t change that: all addresses on your LAN start with those numbers. That’s how the router/gateway knows that they are local. All traffic for other destinations goes to the internet via the WAN interface.

after a while of digging through my settings, I found this.

is this it? if so, can you tell me what I should fill in? (you can change it to LAN and Wireless to WAN so it should be fine)

Click DDNS and show that page.

It’s the previous screen, under the big blob.

I have never had to change advanced routing. You only need the last screen if you have more than one LAN.

What is your SN’s LAN IP?

you can choose between these two options (or disable it altogether)

what’s SN? do you mean my router’s IP adress?

Sorry: storage node, the PC that is running your node.

How it works:

satellite or client wants to contact to you and gets your public IP from hopto.org.
Sat. opens connection to publicIP:28967.
router looks in the port forward table to see whether packets to 28967 are accepted.
they are valid, so it forwards them to your SN 10.0.1.107 on the internal LAN.

(I have used my own LAN IP here.)
You need to take your storage node’s LAN IP and put it into the field where in the picture it says 10.0.1.107.

I actually already did that a while ago… while the IP address prefixes are different, is it still ok?

Show the list of DDNS service from the dropdown.

it doesn’t let me screenshot it so I’ll just write it down.

Application forwarding: FTP, Telenet, SMTP, DNS, TFTP, Finger, HTTP, POP3, NNTP, SNMP, PPTP.

Protocol: either TCP, UDP or both

Click the DDNS tab and where it shows dyndns.org. I wonder if it has No-IP or dynu in it. This is why I want to see that list. Its under SETUP-> DDNS

the DDNS service is disabled.

I can chose between DynDNS or TZO.com

are these providers? do I chose thse instead of no-ip? what do I do next?

You will need to register at either of the sites then enter those credentials so your DDNS is setup. Use that DDNS in your Storj setup instead of IP.

My experience is that this inbuilt DDNS setting is not reliable. I recommend downloading the DDNS client from hopto and installing it on the SN PC. MUST be set to auto-start. It’s also easy to check on, just 2 clicks away.

1 Like

both of the services are paid subscription services, is there a free or one-time payment dyndns or tzo service?

Dynu.com is great free service.