I have double checked my identity and firewalls, yet my port forwarding seems to be closed, even though I set it up correctly on my Linksys router. Anything I can do? (my node has been offline for 5 hours)

hi even if you’ve set up your firewall+port-forwarding correctly, if the storagenode container is not starting up a tcp listener at the port your forwarding towards, the node will appear offline.

can you please provide the storagenode logging here with docker logs storagenode

in addition to that, please paste the container startup command your’re using with truncated personal info

Sorry but I’m very new at this, could you repeat this as if you were explaining it to a 5 year old?

haha, no worries!

Let’s take a step back! Are you running on linux?

I’m running my node on Windows 10, I should have mentioned that…

okido, so lets start by verifying your network firewalling+port-forwarding.

• Open up your command promt.
  • Make sure docker is not running a storagenode container docker ps -a
  • If it is, then stop it with docker stop --time 300 storagenode.
  • Again on the windows box, start a manual listener on the port you want your storagenode to be accessible on. The default one is 28967. Do this by running ncat -l -p 28967
  • Use an online port scanning tool to verify that you can reach that listener you started. Goto http://nmap.online-domain-tools.com/, select custom scan and enter there -v -Pn -p 28967 {YOUR_PUBLIC_IP}. The dialogue box that would appear should say open in the 6th-7th line
1 Like

I tried running all your suggested commands in command prompt and PowerShell, both with admin, I think you might be wrong there, because they did not work… however, I checked my port like you said and this was the full result:

Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2020-05-21 12:31 Coordinated Universal Time

Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 12:31

Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 12:31, 0.15s elapsed

Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 12:31

Scanning 94.207.96.180 [1 port]

Completed SYN Stealth Scan at 12:31, 2.20s elapsed (1 total ports)

Nmap scan report for 94.207.96.180

Host is up.

PORT STATE SERVICE

28967/tcp filtered unknown

Read data files from: C:\ProgInst\odt\Nmap\www\free

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 5.61 seconds

Raw packets sent: 2 (88B) | Rcvd: 0 (0B)

says host is up… so… does that mean I’m good?

no, unfortunately there’s nothing listening at that port as seen in 28967/tcp filtered unknown. Host is up means you’ve allowed ICMP traffic to be answered on your firewall

Hello Lasagna,

Do you use docker or windows GUI?

please paste the outputs you’re getting after running docker stop --time 300 storagenode and ncat -l -p 28967

I followed the instructions for Windows GUI, so I guess I use that one (the one with the installer, right?)

I just realized that you were assuming I’m using the docker, right? I am actually using windows GUI. if you recommend the docker, I can also set that up I guess

oh i see, what’s happening here! :slight_smile: even if you dont have docker installed the ncat command should be doable on your windows system. its a quick and dirty way of starting a listener so that you can verify your network-level properties.
when you run ncat -l -p 28967 in your command promt, you should get no output after it. is that the case?

unfortunately it just says its not recognized as an internal or external command… etc.

i see. that’s too bad, because you would have to fly blind with regards to whether your NAT is working correctly. perhaps @rikysya can pick it up from here. given its a new node, there’s no rush! :wink:

Thanks, hopefully this thread will be resolved at some point, because I can’t find any other way to tackle this

i myself am not familiar with the alternative non-docker all-in-one windows installer, so im just gonna shuddup xD

I’m just getting the docker rn because it seems like I could be able to get more help with that. ill go over your previous instructions and update you later

great! aim for getting closed when youre running the online port scanner. the current filtered means that there’s some issue on your firewall/router with regards to forwarding the port to the windows host running the storagenode/dirty ncat listener.

Docker and windows are trouble so stick with GUI.

Can you show me contents of your identity folder? Does it have 6 files?

1 Like