New SNO expectations

Please note, nothing in this comment is intended as a complaint. I got started with Storj more because it seemed like a good way to learn some DevOps skills, than as a “get rich quick” scheme. In that respect, it’s been paying off nicely!

I’m curious, though, how to calibrate my expectations about payment.

I’ve been running for about 14 days, almost continuously (I addressed a couple hiccups pretty quickly). My dashboard estimates that I’ve earned $0.02, of which half will be held back. (Can I at least hope that the penny I’ve earned will be a shiny one? :smiley: )

Can more experienced SNOs comment on whether this is a typical experience, and how much I might reasonably expect it to increase? I do see that egress is increasing nicely as more data is ingested, but it seems the rate would have to be astronomical to even outstrip the power costs in any reasonable amount of time.

My setup is on a 1.83 GHz Core2Duo processor, 4 GB RAM, 3.1 TB available space.

Is it likely the processor speed is constraining me? I have a 2.26 GHz machine I could easily migrate to if that would make a difference (its power consumption is better too). I know fast processors are not required for Storj, but if mine are in a range that a little more speed would make a difference, I’d like to know about that.

Any other comments?

Hi, I have 20TB filled right now and make 60-80$ per month. So it pays for electricity and a little bit extra :wink:
CPU will not be a bottleneck I think. Some people are running multiple nodes per core on a old raspberry pi, so your CPU should be Fine.

1 Like

Thanks much for the quick and helpful reply! Especially good to have validation that my CPU is likely not the bottleneck (for reasons of convenience I like having it on the PC it’s on).

It looks from the current rate like it will take ~20 months per terabyte to fill up, so I guess in about 35 years I can expect to be making $60 to 80/month as well :slight_smile:

Any reason to think that data ingress will speed up?

Also, it’s really intriguing to know that having 800× as much data on your node as I do, translates to 7000× the monthly revenue. I’m curious about the breakdown of that. You’re getting almost 10× the return per byte of stored data than I am. Wonder what accounts for that huge difference. (Of course, getting past the point where 75% of revenue is held would account for some of it, but that only goes so far.)

Your node is currently being vetted to ensure it can be trusted. During that time you will receive much less data than your node normally would after it has been vetted. The based way currently to find out what to expect is this estimator. Realistic earnings estimator

I try to keep that up to date with recent network behavior, but things can fluctuate. If you want to fill in your own storage space and internet speeds, please copy it to your own Google account to fill in those values.

Ingress is currently a little low. But the recent price drops for customers might change that. Only time will tell.

1 Like

This has been discussed before and isn’t necessarily true due to the apparently random nature of data ingress from customers.

But also use @BrightSilence’s estimator.

Most excellent, thank you. I had the sense that there might be some vetting going on, but had not found anything in the documentation to suggest that…so that’s exactly the info I was most interested in. I’m perfectly happy to just cruise along for a while with negligible income, but much happier to have a sense of what’s going on.

Interesting about the variance of ingress too…and yeah, I’m happy to wait and see on that too.

1 Like

Got it.

According to the estimator, in the first month I’d expect 19¢ income with 15¢ withheld; currently I’m on pace for 4¢ income with 3¢ withheld. Hopefully the first half-month is greatly undervalued :slight_smile:

@o1eal maybe @Stob was referring to:

It’s worth reading anyway to better understand how the vetting process works :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t let the slow start put you off. It takes ages for the node to be vetted on each satellite and then it takes time for your storage to build up. It will likely take you a few months before you start seeing a decent increase.

Oh, I’m not running off any time soon :slight_smile: But, since it seems that @BrightSilence’s estimator already takes vetting and withholding into account, and is still estimating about 5× what I’m seeing…based on this discussion I’m definitely bringing my expectations down.

You shouldn’t. Most of the income from the first month will come from the end of that month. Reason being that you start with no data, during the second half of the month, you have on average 3x as much data as the first half of the month. It’ll go up, don’t worry too much about it. But do report back of things are inaccurate. I try to incorporate feedback. Vetting is one of those things that’s a little harder to adjust for me since I don’t have any nodes in vetting anymore.

3 Likes

Will do. Thanks for all your efforts.

2 Likes

I would only expect break even on a hard drive within 2-3 years. You likely wont see meaningful amounts of money unless storj adoption explodes.

Its worth while to run the successrate script to make sure your node is running correctly. You should be able to find it somehwere in the forum.

1 Like

Thanks! This thread and script look promising: Visual Dashboard - Grafana Mon: 24hr Docker log > Telegraf > InfluxDB

I found and ran the script, thanks. Just grabbed it from Github, and now I can run it from my home directory: storj_success_rate-master/successrate.sh

The lowest percentage is under Downloads:
Success Rate: 97.629%

I’m guessing that rate is high enough not to worry – yeah?

(I see that the “Fail” rate there is zero, which I think means that the end user canceled the download – probably not my server’s fault. The uploads do have a fail rate, but it seems very low – 0.149% – probably due to a couple hiccups, one where I knocked the power cord of the hard drive, another when the Internet went out.)

Cancelled usually means other nodes were faster. There is some overhead built in for nodes that don’t respond fast enough, but when enough pieces are uploaded or downloaded, the rest get cancelled. 97% is definitely nothing to worry about though. In some cases these cancellations can also show up as errors. Usually the only worrisome errors are ones that mention missing files. You can have a look at your logs, but I doubt there are serious issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for breaking that down. As for your second-half-of-the-month point, just in the last few days (roughly, days 12-15) that trend is finally visible in the chart. Ingress seems to be trending up somewhat (though it bounces back and forth), but egress is visibly and significantly increasing. That trend is what I was hoping to see, but it didn’t start to emerge till now.

Hello fellow new SNO. I’ve been running my node (1 TB) for a little over five months now and just filled up the disk. For May I’m probably going to make $ 3-4, which is about the amount that the estimator gave me.

My expectations were that running the node would eventually pay for replacing the HDDs every few years and that seems to work out fine at the moment.

6 Likes

My first node is a tad over 1.5TB and I am also going to break my first TB within month 5. But I lost several weeks of data whilst dealing with a CGNAT issue and my isp.