New to the network

Hi everyone.
I recently joined the Storj network with my first Node a couple of weeks ago. I found this platform through the Coinbase launch. I think it is a very interesting platform and I think the way of distributing could space is very forward and futuristic.

I did build a fresh node from some old hardware, but I did purchase a 16TB harddrive with the possibility of expanding the space further in the future.
My node has the current specifications.

*i5 5th generation
*16TB of storage
*8GB Ram
*Windows 10 PRO

As far as connection I have a 100/25 line.

I have a few questions.

I do wonder, how fast does a node usually take to fill up? .

I also wonder if there would be any reason for me to upgrade my internett speed considering my node is fresh.

Can I shut down my node to add extra storage space when the time comes or is it better to start a new one?

Have a great dat :smile:

1. I do wonder, how fast does a node usually take to fill up? .
    It takes a long time to fill, keep in mind the more nodes that are running on the network the longer it takes.

2. I also wonder if there would be any reason for me to upgrade my internett speed considering my node is fresh.
    Your internet isnt going to help fill it any faster. So don’t waste money upgrading your internet less you planned on doing it anyways for yourself.

3. Can I shut down my node to add extra storage space when the time comes or is it better to start a new one?
    You cannot expand the same node with another hard drive less your running it on a raid setup. Best to just start a fresh new node new hard drive.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Hozuka!

You might want to have a look at the following estimator by making a copy of it on your own Google account, then filling in your own numbers:

Thank you for the recommendation.
To me I have more joy of being a contributor to the network. So I was lucky to place my node in a separat room where I can basically leave it for the next 10 years with minor maintenance. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right :slight_smile:

Just make sure you set up some basic monitoring still (uptimerobot would be a minimum) to make sure your node doesn’t get disqualified because of a simple minor issue that got it offline for some reason, and redirect some logs to files somewhere.

Even though the Storj software is getting better and better, it can still fail and when it does, there’s not often a notification letting you know something’s wrong.
Besides, others softwares and hardwares around the node can fail too ^^’

Long story short: You may get lucky, but for me running a Node is not exactly a “set it and forget it” thing. YMMV :wink:

You should start a new node on the new drive in addition to the one already running.

If you want to shut down the “old” node, you can perform a graceful exit to collect your held payments:
https://forum.storj.io/search?q=graceful%20exit

This is the most valuable advice in this thread

1 Like

2-4TB per year is probably reasonable, given recent traffic.