Node consistently errors

04.619Z       ERROR   piecestoreupload failed    {"Process": "storagenode", "Piece ID": "R3V7SVT55AW66GH25Z7RVL4MER2NNMYNFJUFOXNFRB5I7PR3VQPA", "Satellite ID": "12EayRS2V1kEsWESU9QMRseFhdxYxKicsiFmxrsLZHeLUtdps3S", "Action": "PUT", "error": "context canceled", "errorVerbose": "context canceled\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc/rpcstatus.Wrap:75\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).Upload.func5:498\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).Upload:529\n\tstorj.io/common/pb.DRPCPiecestoreDescription.Method.func1:243\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcmux.(*Mux).HandleRPC:33\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc/rpctracing.(*Handler).HandleRPC:61\n\tstorj.io/common/experiment.(*Handler).HandleRPC:42\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).handleRPC:124\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).ServeOne:66\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).Serve.func2:114\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcctx.(*Tracker).track:35", "Size": 768, "Remote Address":

This is consistently happening in one of 2 nodes. This has caused the dashboard to go down and when the node is running the dashboard gets stuck on loading. The logs is getting spammed with errors similar to that.

After waiting about 15minutes for it to load, the disk usage chart is empty and the last contact was 3m ago.

Looks like a usual long tail cancelation error: your node is too slow.
Almost any “context canceled” is meaning that your node is too slow to provide a piece.
This is only matter when it has this king error (usually you do not see them ever) for GET_AUDIT or GET_REPAIR, all others are usual behavior.

If my node is too slow, how do I make it quicker?

Depends. What is your current disk connection? If it’s a network filesystem or USB, try to make it internal, or use at least iSCSI for a network attached drives.
If your HDD is SMR (see PSA: Beware of HDD manufacturers submarining SMR technology in HDD's without any public mention), try to replace it to CMR if possible, or add another one node to your network - this will reduce a load on SMR.

But in general - you cannot be close to everyone customer in the world. Part of races is impossible to win.

1 Like