Node died- Connection Refused on Dashboard after migrating

Running Storj Windows, not Docker.

My main Storj computer died a death of bad drive sectors, and my Storj DB is fine on my iSCSI slice.
Did this on purpose to make future migration easier…
So far, my migration has flopped…

I’ve run the installer on my spare computer, I’ve put in the copied identity file, public IP, wallet address, TB amount to share, etc.

Storj Dashboard: Connection refused
Oh what fun, how do I get my node back online?

Please, give me the result of the command (Powershell):

Get-Service storagenode*

Please, show 20 last lines from the log: https://documentation.storj.io/resources/faq/check-logs

Services started according to Services.msc, but the WebUI still says connection refused.

Log repeats this for the requested 20 lines
2020-04-10T18:07:40.077-0400 INFO Configuration loaded from: C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml
2020-04-10T18:07:40.283-0400 INFO Operator email: email@something.private
2020-04-10T18:07:40.283-0400 INFO operator wallet: (My Storj address)
2020-04-10T18:07:41.510-0400 INFO version running on version v1.1.1

As a test, I tried the start-service storagenode command, it didn’t like that very much.

Start-service : Service ‘Storj V3 Storage Node (Storagenode)’ cannot be started due to the following error: Cannot
open Storagenode service on computer ‘.’.
At line:1 char:1

• Start-service Storagenode
  •   + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Start-Service],
     ServiceCommandException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand

Please, run in the elevated Powershell:

Start-Service Dnscache
Start-Service storagenode

Connection refused, but there were no errors in attempting both commands

Please, set the debug log level in the log.level: option of "C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml" config file. Save changes and restart the storagenode service either from the Services applet or from the elevated Powershell

Restart-Service storagenode
Sleep 10

Then please give me 20 lines of the log:

cat -tail 20 "C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\storagenode.log"

I installed fresh Server 2019 and attempted migration again, it worked, my node is back online.

Storj really needs an application window that has zero dependencies on storage connections, config files, identity shards, etc. not just a WebUI that has to have multiple elements lined up perfectly to work properly.

One click - export/import zip file and Storj handles the migration from there.

You can put your idea here: https://ideas.storj.io

But I should ask first - did you migrate the identity AND the data?
Because “zip” will take a lot of time to include both. Especially on Windows is has a limit of 2GB (yes, two Gigabytes) by default.

Again, the Storj DB/Tardigrade data was not migrated as it didn’t need to be moved
because that data was not local to the node.

I set up network shares/not using local Storj to avoid a total loss if/when a node died.

My Synology server is running iSCSI/Network shared folders that all of my computers can connect to.

Storj on my new server is pointed/directed/linked to an iSCSI mounted folder on Windows, in this case, I gave it the drive letter S:\

Should the node die in the future, all I have to do is reinstall Windows, re-import the identity file, connect to iSCSI, and link Storj to the iSCSI share, then I’ll be back in business.

I would suggest to run your node directly on your Synology if it’s able to run a docker.
Any network connected drive will slow down your node, it will lose almost all races for pieces to competitors with a local connected drives.

1 Like