I’m trying to retire some old hardware, and my storagenode is (almost) the last thing I need to migrate off it. I figured just rsyncing all the data over to the new hardware would be the way forwards (and later found How do I migrate my node to a new device? | Storj Docs which confirmed my suspicions).
However, the transfer is much slower than ever I imagined; I’m now on my third progressive rsync of the live node, and it’s been running for about 36 hours. This leaves me with a couple of possible conclusions:
- The rate at which storage blobs change is very high. Does anyone know if this is likely to be the case?
- There is some frustrating bottleneck (which I’d guess is probably the underlying storage,
iotopis showing fairly significant drive utilisation).
I’m rather concerned about the effect of the downtime when I actually switch off the node and do a final sync…
Answers to questions people probably have:
- The node has about 8TB of data.
- I cannot keep using the same drives in the new system and just move them across (new host is SFF, old host had a badly-chosen stripe across a mixture of drive types - don’t ask).
- The connection is 5Gb, so shouldn’t be an issue.