Node Misconfigured due to DS-Lite?

I went through the whole set up process only to then see the Node display it is misconfigured.
I now believe this to be an issue of not actually having an IPv4 Address. My cable modem just shows an AFTR address, because my connection runs via DS-Lite.
I saw a few other older posts with other people having a similar situation, I now just want confirmation that yes this is not possible to use via a DS-Lite connection.

And if not, someone should just write “If you are using DS-Lite, don’t bother”. unless that has already been written and I just missed it.

Thank you and Cheers,
Silas

You have some options, but it requires some effort.

First, many users have had success contacting their ISP and asking for a public IPv4 address. Make it very clear to them that you don’t need a static IP, otherwise they will definitely try to upsell you to a business connection. And you can work around a dynamic IP with ddns anyway. Most ISPs will actually accomodatie this. If they still try to upsell you, just ask for a superior. It’s probably not a common request they get. If they ask why you need it, I would just tell them you need external access to an IP camera. That way you don’t have to explain Storj to them.

Alternatively, you could use a VPN that supports port forwarding. But this will add costs and an extra hop in the traffic. So try the above first.

1 Like

I don’t think option one is a thing. I tried getting that once before with no success. They would not even do a static IPv4.

Maybe I will look into the VPN thing but probably not. That seems like a bad solution.
I at this point actually wiped that boot drive already and installed TrueNAS Scale on it. Which i think can also run a Storj node. Before i just had ubuntu on that. for some reason it did not occur to me to look up if i can run Storj on TrueNAS Scale.

I have a VPS already maybe I could use that for the vpn. But that seems like a hassle and just a band aid solution.
Thank you for the answer though @BrightSilence

I think you missed the point. That’s exactly what I said, they won’t give you a static IPv4 and you don’t need it. A dynamic publicly addressable one is just fine. Give it a try and hammer down that you DON’T want a static IP. Like I said, most who tried it had success. Do report back what the result was.

You sure can. Storj has actually partnered with iXsystems.

No they don’t have any IPv4 addresses. Aside from these endpoints used by many connections. None. I could maybe try harder with them but I don’t think i could be bothered. I don’t really need to or want to run a Storj node. I thought that could be fun but I am not up for phone fights for it.

Fair enough. The VPS would work also though. Might be a nice project for a rainy day. Check back here if you need any help. Lots of people around who are always willing to lend a helping hand.

2 Likes

Depends how you look at it. I consider it a superior solution compared to naked home ipv4. Your home connection is shielded (privacy, you can reverse lookup your IP into an address), and you can change providers all you want at a whim, without changing any config; the providers can implement CGNAT and close ports all they want, and node will continue working with no intervention required of any kind.

I have a public IP and yet I still route storj traffic through a nearby VPS. For all the above reasons. When I lose internet I failover home network to an LTE hotspot. Storj node continues working as if nothing happened. I don’t even want to think what kind of contraption will I have to concoct to migrate storj to LTE when main line is lost otherwise. (And I do this not just for storj – other services hosted at home are configured the same way, albeit using different “vps” – Cloudflared Zero Trust platform, but same idea)

And VPS cost me nothing, due to obnoxiously generous free tier at Oracle Cloud. Even if /when it is no longer free – I’ll continue using it. Just roll the cost in to cost of internet services.

So here you have it. Lack of public ipv4 is a silver lining here.

2 Likes

Now I would be ready to do this. I have a VPS now i use for other things anyways so putting a VPN in place. is there a guide somewhere i can follow?

I summarized what I have done here: Hosting services, like Storj, behind firewall/GNAT, using Wireguard on a VPS and DNAT (Port Forwarding) with iptables. · GitHub