Node stopped working - trust-cache.json: permission denied

Approx. two days ago the node stopped working out of a sudden!? I am not aware of the reason nor did I do changes, updates or any of the sort. I am stuck with the log message not knowing what to do:

2024-01-22T16:09:38Z FATAL Unrecoverable error {“process”: “storagenode”, “error”: “trust: open config/trust-cache.json: permission denied”, “errorVerbose”: “trust: open config/trust-cache.json: permission denied\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/trust.LoadCacheData:105\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/trust.LoadCache:36\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/trust.NewPool:91\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode.New:405\n\tmain.cmdRun:79\n\tmain.newRunCmd.func1:32\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:393\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1:411\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:852\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC:960\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:897\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomOptions:112\n\tmain.main:30\n\truntime.main:267”}

Version is as of today latest.
There are no other log errors.
Renaming the json didn´t work, it wasn´t recreated.

Any help is appreciated.
Additional infos needed? Don´t hesitate to request.

Existing topics seem to be very old, couldn´t get to know what to do.

You have a file permission issue here. Node is unable to open the .json file.

3 Likes

Hello @Barn,
Welcome back!

Seems you added --user $(id -u):$(id -g) to your docker run command recently, but used sudo before.
You have two options:

• either remove --user $(id -u):$(id -g) and continue run with sudo, but need to change the owner to root for all storagenode data recursively;
  • or do not use sudo (perhaps you also need to fix your docker setup: Linux post-installation steps for Docker Engine | Docker Docs) and change the owner to $(id -u):$(id -g) for storagenode data recursively.
2 Likes

Thank you very much for the helpful support.

@Alexey I opt in for bullet point number 1 and I am currently changing the owner back to root again.
You were right with the newly added --user, I had a offline problem with the node recently (~start of january or alike) and updated the socker command with the wiki also because of QUIC.
The node is switching between suspended states now. I hope the best.

Can you asses how long the owner change will take for a 18TB node?

(Ah it would be such a pitty to loose that node… it is finally full after ~4 years (?)… grrr…)

Depends on various conditions:

• How many pieces
  • How the disk is connected
  • What’s filesystem
  • How much RAM
  • What’s CPU
  • What’s disk controller
  • etc.

In short - I have no idea, how long it would take on your system.
You wouldn’t lose your node if you did not lose more than 4% of data. With online score below 60% your node will be suspended, but you can recover it being 30 days online.

Understood. Thanks again for the help and the quick support.

Issue solved for now.
Node is stable and unsuspended since ~ 18 hours.

1 Like