Node was damaged, cannot upgrade/start again

After a power outage my node went down. After hours of chkdsk it was not able to recoer the data. I deleted the stored content and tried to run the node.

msgs I’m getting:

C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\Resources\bin\docker.exe: Error response from daemon: Conflict. The container name “/storagenode” is already in use by container “xxxxxxx”. You have to remove (or rename) that container to be able to reuse that name.
storjlabs/storagenode1:beta
Unable to find image ‘storjlabs/storagenode1:beta’ locally
C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\Resources\bin\docker.exe: Error response from daemon: pull access denied for storjlabs/storagenode1, repository does not exist or may require ‘docker login’: denied: requested access to the resource is denied.
See ‘C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\Resources\bin\docker.exe run --help’.

If I delete the node with rm storagenode, the keys are also deleted. Please advise!

1 Like

You need to store you keys on the host, and use the mapping to link the path to the container. Then, when you RM the container, it won’t delete the files on the host. You’ll just need to remap it when you pull the new container.

1 Like

Removing the container is fine, your data and identity are stored outside the container.
You are also using a wrong name to pull the image, there is no 1 in the image name.

To start a node in an existing container, don’t use the run command. Just do docker start storagenode

2 Likes

I get Invalid config type for “bind” , Bind source path does not exist.

Double check the paths in your run command. If they are correct, make sure you shared the drives in the docker settings. Sometimes unchecking them, saving the settings and then checking them again fixes issues as well. If that doesn’t work please post your run command so we can have a look.

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped -p xxxxx:xxxxx -e WALLET=“0x000000000000000000000000000000” -e EMAIL="xxx@xxxxx.com" -e ADDRESS=“xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyyy” -e BANDWIDTH=“500GB” -e STORAGE=“850GB” --mount type=bind,source=“E:\Bitt\Storj\Identity\keys”,destination=/app/identity --mount type=bind,source=“D:\850GB”,destination=/app/config --name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:beta

Even if you recover the keys, if you have lost the stored data then the node’s identity is effectively worthless. The satellites will notice that your node is missing data and disqualify it.

If you want to start over, you need a new authorization token and a new identity.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info cdhowie. I’m an early adopter since V2 and I’m tired of betas. I already found an alternative to Storj. It has simple native GUI app for windows/linux/mac. It needs only 4 clicks to run and does not need cumbersome Docker.

Good luck to all node operators.

Theres a installera for Windows now.
Try that with a new node and see what you think.
Keep old one running (if you havnt killed it already)