Nodes full. How about some neighbors?

OK. So most of my nodes are full. How about adding some more as neighbors? Good idea? I mean, they will split the traffic with the already existing ones, which are full and don’t have much to split. Any disadvantages this may result in for the already full nodes? I can see the rate of freeing space on them is incredibly slow and is rarely above half a gig, presumably happens as trash space is clearing up…

It won’t have any bad impact. As long as the other nodes are full, your new node will get full traffic after it’s vetted. So yes, this is a great idea if you have the HDD space available. Though if it’s on the same HDD, it’s better to make existing nodes bigger.

If you plan on buying HDD’s for this though, keep in mind that payouts will change at some point.

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan! I will have to buy the HDDs, but by the looks of it, I will make it back in a year just for the BTC halving, then things should explode a bit, so not worried. I would like to accumulate as much STORJ tokens before the BTC halving. Alts also raise in prize when it happens, most probably. I think it would be worth the risk. Anyone else on the same track? :grinning:

1 Like

Just keep this topic in mind when making purchase decisions:

1 Like

Unrelated to the question but are you the same svet0slav who developed a pricing script for Golem providers?

1 Like

That is such an insane decrease, though it will lead to more customers.

Yes. Why? LOL I am not running GLM nodes now, I think. Since it is not related, PM me instead.

2 Likes

It has already led to many more customers. The customer pricing was lowered a long time ago. Storj has simply been taking a loss since then and is now trying to realign the node payouts. I just thought you should be aware before investing.

3 Likes

This was a really helpful post, indeed. Thank you!

1 Like

Back to the question… Maybe I will expand the storage nodes capacity instead. STORJ seems to recommend nodes between 8 and 24 TB. In my case, there seems to be growth possibility to 24 TB per node for sure. Some MSAs I have can have like 29 TB capacity, so I will eventually end up with 1 node per MSA, having in mind the 10% offset for overuse, should it occur.

There is practically no limit to how much data you can accumulate. Old data isn’t deleted that frequently. But this is the same whether you run one or multiple nodes. With the new payouts it becomes more important to have efficient disks as energy costs are going to take up a bigger part of your income. I recommend buying the largest possible HDD’s if you are going to buy, since that will give you the most amount of income per watt. Of course this is partly dependent on your energy costs, but unfortunately they have spiked in many places.

1 Like

I provide several Nodes as you can see in my atachment.
It works perfect, if you follow the rules regarding Port-Forwarding, Firewall and so on.
The Traffic will be ballanced automaticty between all Nodes.

All of my Nodes got max. 2-3 TB Volume. This is a cappacity i can transfer in case of problems of Hardware in a realistic time. I have to do this real 3 times and all Nodes are still alive.

My atachment shows 11 Nodes with 2-5TB = 38TB Data.

On a second PC i have 20 new Nodes with only 600GB Data, just to take the Month …

I never bought new Hardware, why? It makes no sense for me!
I started with that what i have.
Then i looked and asked around what my friends have on old HDD Drives.
I have now 120TB Volume free …
It cost me just some nice evenings and drings for my friends.
Think aboud it, before you invest in really new Hardware.

What if your Node(s) will be offline for several days, because of problems with energy, internet or … Than possible they are out!

Never invest something into unclear future! Storj struggles and looks around to reduce the income for us. Thats fairly ok!
But think aboud it. Your friends will have more than enough TB … I am shure.

Well, if nodes are already full, what kind of balancing are we talking about here? :grinning:

Between not full obviously.
I’m started my second node when the first one was almost full, and it was vetted pretty fast (it was 4 years ago).