Nodes getting stuck on update

Life can be so complicated and stressfull because… you know, society and rules of living in it. Some of us just don’t have the time and nerve for one more thing to learn and use… the Linux OS.
Point and click, job done. Why stress about it?
It works, you get your job done and you can spend your time doing something else.
Windows is not for everyone, like Linux is not for everyone.
And because so many start using the computer because their job requires to, and the vast majority of businesses are using Windows. The business software is developed for Windows and maybeeee for Linux, but in very few cases.

3 Likes

Im pretty fluent in all four major OS streams as a user, I have started with windows, but today it is the only one that infuriates me with every design choice they made by making simple things unnecessary cumbersome, annoying, and illogical.

I understand why it’s world dominating, but this has nothing to do with its usability, and is not a reason enough to continue fighting its windmills.

If using it does not infuriate you and does not add to the already sufficient amount of stress – what can be better, no need to change anything. Separately, learning one more thing is not stress – it’s calming and invigorating.

but lets not turn this thread into another people vs windows floods…

2 Likes

Normally this happens with dockers as well. When something goes wrong, the container gets killed. I’v got a script that restarts that docker again on a certain interval. But its sometimes where the process within the container crashes, but the container itself doesnt. Atleast that is my understanding of how it works

Heh, this is funny. One of the reasons I’m using Linux is because Windows was making me stressed as hell. Constant bluescreens, installing any application required a full system restart, system requiring reinstallation every few months… From what I hear, some things were fixed over the past 25 years… others broken, so I assume the average experience is still the same.

2 Likes

Can’t remember when I saw the last bluescreen? Must be years ago… :laughing:

Yeah, now their kernel seems to be decently stable. Good for them.

1 Like

BSODs are most often caused by drivers, not the kernel itself, and the vast majority of those — by graphics drivers, due to their sheer complexity.

Pre-Vista writing drivers was dark magic, if you wanted to do it well you had to go to Microsoft campus and have them help you do it. If you were small player — that was not feasible, so you would slap together some sample code and hope for the best.

In Vista the major change was overhaul of entire driver model, including WDDM (with which I’m intimately familiar due to past job). No more boilerplate error prone code you had to write, only code was actual logic in the driver implementation, not unlike IOKit on macOS) and the stability soared as a result. It took a few iterations of tightening and encapsulating, including adopting technologies like VT-d, and for people to learn how to implement their stuff under the model and by windows 8.1 let alone 10 it became very stable. Now if you a see a bugcheck (kernel panic in Microsoft speak) it’s due to genuine bug in the driver, that can be debugged and addressed; it’s no longer black magic.

3 Likes

In fact the most horrific thing I came across in recent years is linux based. I mean QNAPs NAS OS.

The most annoying thing in linux is the lack of file extensions and the fact that you can’t tell what those are… are they directories, are they files? Ou, they are files… but what type of files? :face_with_monocle:

I have a 2010 HP notebook. It was Windows Xp, I think, updated to 10, replaced the internal HD with SSD by transferring the OS. Never formatted, never rebooted windows, never seen a blue screen. And yes, I installed a lot of garbage…

1 Like

That’s why there is a “file” command. It tells you what that kind of file that file is.

1 Like

For what is worth, HP hardware was (still is?) excellent.

Relevant anecdote: On one of my past jobs (fortune 100 company, quite large) after horrible experience with multiple company issued standard Lenovo ThinkPads T410, T420 (another story how these … people inherited and promptly enshittified excellent brand), that kept crashing, overheating, hanging, etc, I got fed up and asked IT folks if I could perhaps get Dell, or whichever machines are the most stable and fool proof that gives them less headaches. They recommended get any HP, hands down, quoting the same: they are surviving 2, 3 major OS upgrades, and stay stable like rocks, while Dells and other Lenovos become unmanageable and unsupportable unstable heaps of trash. They are just well engineered, tested, and generally designed with stable components, with the expectation that people do in fact upgrade software more often than hardware. This is apparently a very hard to grasp concept for dell and Lenovo.

I’m suspecting if Macs did not exist I would be now sporting HP hardware now.

2 Likes

HP overall are good laptops for business. I had like 15 over the years, in 500-700 $ range. I had Asus and Dell, but I stuck with HP in the end.
Not the best display, but overall they are more than OK. And are among the few with unreflective displays. I can’t stand the mirror finish, which Apple is so found of.
The best range for business is Probook 450 Gx. G9 is the latest that I baught. Great keyboard, very easy to open without hidden screws, pretty good display.

Hmmm, this is interesting. I have a stack of ~10 Thinkpads of various models (T43p, X61, X61s, X220, T430, T480s, E14 gen 4), and my experience so far with them was good. The only real hardware problem I recall is with an X250 I used to have, where a secondary SSD wasn’t waking up quickly enough after suspend, and so I had to add a delay in a resume routine to avoid I/O errors. IIRC this was an officially unsupported configuration though.

Granted I would like to have a modern device with an old-style Thinkpad keyboard, but I really can’t complain about any of the models I work on. The X61 one was even hosting a node for a brief period before I migrated it to a proper NAS…

This is a bug in the design of such image then. It must die and revive with docker.

Just try the old hardware… Like mine. ASUS MB i7 from 2009. And try to rollout the latest Windows 10 or even worse Windows 11.

Oops. My condolences to you.
QNAP is a worst thing in Linux as I heard.

I can confirm. My two last laptops were HP. since 2009. 15 Years. Two laptops. Just think about it.
The last one (from 2018 with a touchscreen!! and can be converted to… hm tablet?) is working still even if the battery is may help only 20 minutes to survive the power cut… However, I still love HP.
The first one is still working by the way. Battery is died of course, but still. 15 YEARS!
I haven’t had so long run hardware so far except these two… Hm, may be only a SonyEricsson T68i which is still working since 2002?
Respect to HP :sunglasses:

1 Like