Nodes getting stuck on update

Hi I have a few nodes and been having problems with them just getting stuck, I restart the container and all is well, here is the log. Just this forever.

Thanks

2024-04-02T16:35:49Z INFO Downloading versions. {Process: storagenode-updater, Server Address: https://version.storj.io}
2024-04-02T16:35:50Z INFO Current binary version {Process: storagenode-updater, Service: storagenode, Version: v1.97.3}
2024-04-02T16:35:50Z INFO Version is up to date {Process: storagenode-updater, Service: storagenode}
2024-04-02T16:35:50Z INFO Current binary version {Process: storagenode-updater, Service: storagenode-updater, Version: v1.97.3}
2024-04-02T16:35:50Z INFO Version is up to date {Process: storagenode-updater, Service: storagenode-updater}
2024-04-02T16:50:49Z INFO Downloading versions. {Process: storagenode-updater, Server Address: https://version.storj.io}
2024-04-02T16:50:50Z INFO Current binary version {Process: storagenode-updater, Service: storagenode, Version: v1.97.3}
2024-04-02T16:50:50Z INFO Version is up to date {Process: storagenode-updater, Service: storagenode}
2024-04-02T16:50:50Z INFO Current binary version {Process: storagenode-updater, Service: storagenode-updater, Version: v1.97.3}
2024-04-02T16:50:50Z INFO Version is up to date {Process: storagenode-updater, Service: storagenode-updater}

What do you mean getting stuck on update? Do the nodes crash? Or do you mean they aren’t updated? (you are running the latest rolling out version, there is nothing to update to)

Sorry, they go offline and when I check the logs this is the last things in them, I restart the container and away it goes.

What is it doing in those 15 mins ?

Not working at all, here lately I get a notification that my node is offline , I check and that is what I have in there and restart it and away it goes, just happened a lot this week on various nodes of mine and was just wondering what might be up.

Is that the whole log ?

If you have double entries of lines in the .yaml, it will have starting problems.

check for added lines, that existed already like “loglevel” or “wallet features”.

I will check into this more if it happens again, it happened many times in the past few days but I am sure now it will not again. My title may not be correct after looking into this more. It looks I lost the logs in my restarting stuff and I will look for extra .yaml lines. I do know I had a node that crapped out due to the “wallet features” line being in there from when started years ago.

my node wont even start on the latest version. This is on windows. And version 1.96.6 just likes to turn off every so many hours.

I have been having this issue for a long time already on Unraid. Whenever I got an email that my node is offline, I just restart the container en continu. Annoying, but it works

thats why i praise Windows version, because its a sevice. if windows notice the service is not On, or crashed, after x minutes it restarts it, love it.

The same can be done on systemd by

Restart      = always

if you are running it baremetal (ie no docker).

This is what I get

Check your disk for errors. chkdsk for Windows and fsck for Linux.

Also you could check your databases for a reasonable size. I recently found one of my nodes having a piece_expiration.db of 2.5 GB.

In the past I wasted a lot of time with repairing databases but now I just delete all of them when there is a problem with databases.

1 Like

Lol haha… okay! any downsides of that? i mean in terms of payouts;>

None. Payout only depends on satellites data.

All local databases are not really needed.

1 Like

I just wrote a script to check and, of necessary, repair them all every time I restart the machine. And they seem to be repairable every time and kinky seem to get corrupted on power cycling the machine.

And with launchd, from which systemd design was copied

Windows is the only one that makes it unnecessarily complicated to accomplish by hiding the configuration under proprietary database (registry) forcing your to separate tools (sc, event viewer, abhorrent powershell interface) to manage that, all while a text file would suffice.

I’m constantly baffled at why do people still tolerate windows when there are objectively better alternatives readily available (outside of requiring support for some ancient legacy 32bit piece of software from 90ties that cannot be solved by wine)

/I’ll show myself out.

3 Likes

sry, we’re just innocent users, who use whatever wins the war for domination and is popular, srry again! :bowing_man:

1 Like