Now what's that: StorX?

StorX is a decentralized data storage network that enables users to store their data on the cloud. Each file uploaded on the StorX network gets encrypted into many fragments to autonomous storage nodes by individual operators all over the world. Mainly the operators who rent their spare disks to develop decentralized storage nodes. Notably, the hosts of the storage nodes will be rewarded in SRX tokens for leasing their disk space.

Regarding their Github (2min check) it seems to be based on Storj v2, or use at least parts of it. Also it seems to host a node you need to have some of their tokens.

Based on this i didn’t dug deeper, i don’t want to waste time again with a broken Storjclone like Internext.

But nice finding, this stuff proofs me that i chose the right Project for my Hardware :wink:

2 Likes

To avoid failures that can be caused due to storing data on a single untrusted
host, We would store data across multiple points that guarantees data
redundantly across multiple hosts.

And the picture with word “Duplicate”. So they actually uses replication AND erasure codes. Exactly like Storj v2.
Also,

StorX Ecosystems incorporates the following components: The User, The Star,
The Satellites.

So, nothing new.

And this is a cherry on the cake:

File contracts typically last 90 days. StorX automatically
renews contracts when they are within a certain window of expiring. If contracts
are not renewed, StorX returns any unused tokens to the renter at the end of the
contract period.

This is a fossil from Storj V2.

Looks like a fork of the fork of the Storj V2. They uses “xcore” from the first fork :smiley:

4 Likes

Looks like they forked the storj V2 repositories when they were already full of messages that it was deprecated and v3 code was already available. I really don’t understand why they would even want to revive something that the original developers have literally walked away from because it had foundational issues that could not be overcome. If you’re gonna fork something, how about fork the thing that actually works. Or even better, just run a community satellite. I’d give it a try. Not this though… This isn’t worth anyone’s time.

8 Likes

So… funny story how I ended up here. I’m currently at Consensus in Austin TX and guess who’s here!!! Never heard of StorX before so I looked into it. Started looking like a scamy dead project to me… only $5M market cap with almost no trade volume, ranked #3560 on coinmarketcap, insane upfront cost to start a node, couldn’t give even a rough idea of what it pays node operators per TB, github code hasn’t been updated in 2 years, and then I saw…

OOOOHHH, and I was right.

Where is StorJ? What’s up with this StorX crap? Why are they here but not StorJ?! That would be pretty funny actuall… on the left we have StorJ, and on the right we have StorX… hey StorX, what makes your platform better than StorJ? Uhhh… errr… we don’t know, ask StorJ!

I’m sorry, I know it’s open source, but come on… lol

3 Likes

Hey Matt,

Pretty funny about StorX. Don’t see why they don’t just join our community, it might be a better experience for them :wink:

We have a few people here at Consensus btw, we have been conducting strategic meetings for demand generation, and didn’t book a booth, as we had a big showing last week at NAB, where we won Storage Product of the Year.

Will be walking around expo tomorrow, handing out some storj stickers. Keep an eye out for us!

Best,
Kevin

8 Likes

Yes please. More. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes