Offline node after first installation

Hi, good afternoon.

Before publishing this post, I’ve been making a list of the possible causes for the node not being able to communicate and be online, according to all the posts I’ve been reading (it’s been offline for four hours), and they are the following.

Windows Server 2016 Operating System

The ports. In the router I have incorporated the port specified in the web page, and then I have verified that the port was open from a web page that can be verified, indicating me that it was open.

DNS. The DNS that I am using in the router is Cludflare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 so there should be no problem.

DDNS. I’ve had this configured on the router for a long time. The only thing I haven’t done during the installation of the STORJ software, is to assign it minidNS:28967

Identity verification. I have re-verified the identity, and the result has been positive according to the web page, which has to be the number 2 and 3 as a result.

Firewall. The operating system’s firewall also has the port open as indicated in the configuration on the website.

Space available for the node. The space I have assigned to the node is 15TB, and it is hosted in a place where there is 27TB free (including the node in this 27TB) so there should be no problem either.

As I saw that the node was not connecting, I restarted the server to see if it could be fixed by some kind of error or something, and it was not fixed either. I then restarted the node after a while, and it couldn’t be fixed either.

What else should I check?

Thank you.

Are you trying to run a second node ?

27 TB is the total, and of the total 27 TB, 15 TB is for the node, so there is 12 TB left. Thank you for answering so quickly.

Are you using docker or Windows GUI ?

Windws GUI en Windows Server 2016. And I’m not running a second node, this is the first one I installed. Thank you!

Did you follow the step 8 of GUI install ?

Step number 8 I left it blank, because I have the DDNS configured in the router. I don’t know if this will cause the problem.

You need to fill it up. Its part of installation steps for a reason.

Can I fill in the cnfig.yaml file and then restart the node? If I can incorporate it, where should I do it?

Yes. Edit config.yaml file’s server.address: section with ddns:28967 then start your node.

Well, it looks like I didn’t do something right. I added my DDNS name to the config.yaml file, and then I stopped the node and started it again, but it won’t start, I can’t access the Dashboard when I run it.

I have tried to start it from Windows services, but it gives me error 1067. And then I added this line to the Power Shell (which I’ve been looking for in the forum about this problem) and it threw me this. And I see that the DDNS name is not in the results.

You can always uninstall GUI and delete the C:\Program files\Storj folder then install it again. Make sure this time you fill everything. Test with https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ if your port is open or not too.

Yes, I will delete the application and reinstall as you say. I already checked the port from that same web page earlier, and it indicated that it was open. Thank you.

Well, it seems that everything is in order after the new installation, the node is already online.

There’s a satellite display. Should I choose one specifically for proximity? Thank you.

1 Like

In future, SNOs can pick which satellites to work with but currently your node is automatically subscribed to all the satellites. You can pick any from the dropdown to look how your node performs on that satellite.

Well, I understand it’s better not to choose any one in particular, right? Today some benefit when choosing one or the other? I live in Spain and there are several satellites from Northern Europe, Western Europe, Stefan-benten, East Asia, Saltlake and Central Us.

As a SNO you cannot currently choose satellite but as a Tardigrade user you can pick satellite closer to you when you upload your files.

What you see in the SNO dashboard is a way to see stats for the satellites that your node is working with. You are not picking any satellite closer to you so your node can get more/faster data.

Well, then it’s all right. Are there any specific configurations I need to take into account?

Depends on what you want to do. You can use uptimerobot.com to monitor your node and you will get a notification via email/text when node goes down.

Okay, thank you very much, I’ll look into it and search the forum if there are any posts about your installation.

If I haven’t read it wrong, I think that during the first month (maybe not so much, I don’t know) satellites are inspecting my server, such as bandwidth and storage capacity. Am I wrong?