Port change on Windows installation

Hy SNOs,
i would start my 4th node on an windows server. i finish the installation, but the node starts with the standart port, altough i change it in the cfg.

# the public address of the node, useful for nodes behind NAT contact.external-address: xxx:28966

log:
Public server started on [::]:28967

what am I doing wrong

You’re missing pretty much all context for your post. You missed a lot of info on your setup like GUI/Docker. You didn’t tell us how your other nodes are set up.

But wait…

Did you actually remove the new line there so that the setting is now commented out?
This part

contact.external-address: xxx:28966

should be on its own line.

1 Like

Okay, sry about that.
its an GUI installation, which runs after the installation.
in the config file the port line is this:
contact.external-address: myip:28966
(myip is the right ip4 number in the cfg)

when the node start, in the log file is this:
Public server started on [::]:28967

Dashboard (Web) runns, but it says my node is offline.

Just to be clear: you are installing your 4th node on your 4th physical machine, not on the same actual Windows server, correct?

Also it might be helpful to provide information according to this example sheet:
https://forum.storj.io/t/template-for-troubleshooting-storage-node-issues/

right…its a another physical machine, but with the same ip4 (ISP) address. i think i can change the port to another, to connect the node with the network - background: on my homenetwerk my first node is full (20TB) - the another two nodes runs on different locations.

In this case, you need to do the following:

1. set your contact.external-address to myip:28968
  2. leave server.address set to the default value of 28967
  3. in your router, forward the external port 28968 to the internal port 28967 of your new machine (node 4)

Note: using port 28968 for the new node in this example is just common practice - you can use any unoccupied port number you wish to

1 Like

my docker run command:
sudo docker run -d --restart unless-stopped -p 28990:28967 -p 127.0.0.1:14002:14002 -e WALLET="xxx" -e EMAIL="xxx" -e ADDRESS="xxx:28990" -e BANDWIDTH="40TB" -e STORAGE="1.1TB" --mount type=bind,source=/mnt/storagenode/identity,destination=/app/identity --mount type=bind,source=/mnt/storagenode,destination=/app/config --name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:latest

Fritzbox NAT Port Forward:

but node is offline…

You said you were running Windows server, why do you use docker?

edit: oh, you even said you are running the GUI installation :slight_smile: This runs as a Windows service and does not need a docker start command. Values are tweaked only by editing the config.yaml file.

i switched the OS to debian, to test what is wrong. all my another nodes running on debian in docker. so i duplicate fast the commands and edit the docker run command. on windows i have no experience with the gui installation, and apparently not even with debian when i change the port to a another.

If you did not solve the issue - the external port range on your router should match the internal port range.