Port forwarding and Orbi

I use a Orbi to expand my wifi, this is a router that creates a mesh network in my house, it connects via cable to the service providers router (which the wifi is disabled on) then all devices connect to the orbi router. I did the port forwarding on the Orbi, however, install of GUI fails. I was thinking is this because the port forwarding i need to do is on the main service provider router rather than the Orbi, also am looking to use a NAT hardrive as i have more than 2tb on one, can this be done? if so how? is it just using the mapped network drive on my laptop as the location?

Any help is appreciated

You don’t have to - this is done on your Router (I assume the Orbi is actually an access point rather than a router)

The installation does not check for working port forwardings, so installation should complete anyways.

This sounds more like it :+1: However, if your Orbi is indeed configured to be a router, you have to change that first.

This will corrupt your databases quickly and will generally lead to unpleasant behaviour. Pls only use locally mounted drives (e.g. SATA or USB)

1 Like

Hello @jrphuntley,
Welcome to the forum!

If the installation fails, then this happens for other reason.
Please, show the last 10 lines from your logs: How do I check my logs? - Node Operator

Regarding double NAT - it’s not good, but you can do that of course. You need to forward 28967 TCP+UDP on your Internet router to your Orbi, then forward the same port on your Orbi to your Windows PC. But it’s better to switch the Orbi to the access point mode, in this case the port forwarding will be done only on Internet router.

The network attached drives are not supported and not recommended. The only working network storage protocol is iSCSI.

1 Like

amended so Orbi is now a access point as it was my router. Setup port forwarding on Vodafone router and went through the GUI install again, which failed.

Did the log check which is below, not sure what’s failing, hopefully you can help.

2021-10-31T22:16:01.436Z FATAL Unrecoverable error {“error”: “mkdir Z:: The system cannot find the path specified.; mkdir Z:: The system cannot find the path specified.; mkdir Z:: The system cannot find the path specified.; mkdir Z:: The system cannot find the path specified.”, “errorVerbose”: “group:\n— mkdir Z:: The system cannot find the path specified.\n— mkdir Z:: The system cannot find the path specified.\n— mkdir Z:: The system cannot find the path specified.\n— mkdir Z:: The system cannot find the path specified.”}
2021-10-31T22:19:37.620Z INFO Configuration loaded {“Location”: “C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml”}
2021-10-31T22:19:37.622Z FATAL Unrecoverable error {“error”: “storagenode configuration already exists (C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node)”}
2021-10-31T22:28:54.841Z INFO Configuration loaded {“Location”: “C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml”}
2021-10-31T22:28:54.843Z FATAL Unrecoverable error {“error”: “storagenode configuration already exists (C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node)”}
2021-11-03T18:01:10.116Z INFO Configuration loaded {“Location”: “C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml”}
2021-11-03T18:01:10.125Z FATAL Unrecoverable error {“error”: “storagenode configuration already exists (C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node)”}
2021-11-03T18:03:44.337Z INFO Configuration loaded {“Location”: “C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml”}
2021-11-03T18:03:44.338Z FATAL Unrecoverable error {“error”: “storagenode configuration already exists (C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node)”}
2021-11-03T18:05:15.983Z INFO Configuration loaded {“Location”: “C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml”}
2021-11-03T18:05:15.984Z FATAL Unrecoverable error {“error”: “storagenode configuration already exists (C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node)”}
2021-11-03T20:00:02.373Z INFO Configuration loaded {“Location”: “C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml”}
2021-11-03T20:00:02.375Z FATAL Unrecoverable error {“error”: “storagenode configuration already exists (C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node)”}

Since you decided to reinstall, you need to remove the storagenode and the "C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node" directory.
I would recommend to move the identity to the disk with data before install, because an identity without its data is useless as a data without its identity.
After that install storagenode back, specify the path to your identity and data.

Perfect thanks, installed fine. Does it take sometime to connect as dashboard says offline?

Dashboard should say online within a couple of seconds, maybe a minute.

Please check your port forwarding again

1 Like