Possible added value of DDR5 for STORJ-Machines

Hello together,

currently I’m planning a new build for a STORJ-Machine with Z790 and DDR5. Do you think DDR5-5600 has a better performance regarding STORJ? The bandwith to DDR4-3200 is way higher but also the latency. Also the single-bit ECC or on-die-ECC is great and should be the stability.

What do you think about DDR5-5600? Would it be better than DDR4-3200? Does anyone have experiences?

Thanks and kind regards,

It will be no difference, as storj not rely on ram speed.

4 Likes

If you want to spend more money on hardware, for almost all use cases (storage nodes including) it is better to have more RAM than faster RAM.

7 Likes

My expierience is, that this setup solely for STORJ will never go profitable.

If its the case that you are building a Gaming PC and want to run Storj on it, like me, who had already serveral services running 24/7, then im here to help.

So what games do you plan to Play?

Just a note: The latency, if measured in nanoseconds, is the same for all RAM generations based on DDR technology (DDR, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4, DDR5): approximately 15 nanoseconds. DDR was first introduced in year 1998 (25 years ago). See for example: The Difference Between RAM Speed and CAS Latency | Crucial.com

2 Likes

Ddr3 works fine for storj

I will have to try it out. Some founders have to do the innovations. :sunglasses:

Luckily it has also On-Die-ECC (ODECC), this comes in handy for some type of error correction.

Every DDR5 has On-Die-ECC. This has little to do with real server RDIMM ECC memory and is more to combat the inherit problems of DDR5.

1 Like