Post pictures of your storagenode rig(s)

No via USB 3.0, it’s super stable! The best thing is it is a HW-RAID, if I want to update the storage, I can exchange one HDD after the other. For example 4 TB update to 10 TB, after a few hours and enlarging the HDD partition I have more storage.

1 Like

Yes, it is perfect - stable and safe!

1 Like

@hafdan - looks cool, but … i want to apologize - this build from my point of view makes no sense from price perspective. NUC ~ 300 euros + QNAP 200 Euros. That’s about 500/ 35w. How many years it will take to equalize power consumption/per price for kilowatt if some dell optiplex for 70 euros or less, with old I3 3440, after some power tweaks in bios and windows will use 45/50 watts out of the wall with same 4 hdds.
Once again, thats only my point of view. In total - build is cool, minimal, but too expensive from storj perspective. Unless you use it as NAS too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re right, just one serving isn’t much use. I still use it as BK server and for coin staking. :wink:

2 Likes

How’s this setup working for you? I am about to upgrade a couple of HDDs in my media server from 4TB to 10TB drives and was thinking about using the older 4TB disks to make a couple of nodes using this setup.

1 Like

It works perfectly, spending $ 4-5 a month on electricity. No errors and problems, I have a Raid 5. So I came to replace each disk if necessary and replace it with one with more storage space.

2 Likes

My node crashed during January while I was on New Years vacation and I was unable to recover it, i.e. it was not worth the time. So I build a new setup that is much more redundant, running the Storj node on a VM that can spawn across 3 servers / hosts. The node came online on the 21th of Feb and has during the last couple of days and weeks taken of .

90% of the traffic is from/to Germany

This is the actual node :slight_smile:

Running ESXi with a MegaRaid LSI card connected to 2x12 drives SAS/SATA enclosures. Around 100TB in raw capacity.

5 Likes

x 3650 m3 found in the garbage can, the diesel generator in the garage is used as a UPS

4 Likes

This is my setup at home. A RaspberryPi4 with 4GB and a Seagate with 4TB for Storj. Everything else is Non-Storj ^^

Otherwise I have 3 more nodes in different data centers with a total of 12TB capacity

3 Likes

that is awesome… no wonder you are getting near 100% uploads successrate
but hey they wanted 99.9% uptime and this is how its done in case anyone was wonder lol

5 posts were split to a new topic: iSCSI is not as bad as was is recommended here

Copying my 2TB node over to an 8TB drive finally :slight_smile:

Another node with some more HDDs at a different location in a real classic ATX case (Lian Li PC-7):

5 Likes

@twl please be aware the Exos 5E8 is an SMR HDD.

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: PSA: Beware of HDD manufacturers submarining SMR technology in HDD’s without any public mention

OS on SD-card or on SSD?

My last setup
Server case used like a disk shelf. In front right top corner my own hand-made fan control. This setup much quieter than enterprise shelf on photo. so I launched it and not a real shelf.

9 Likes

3 Likes

Cool, TB? Power? My System is a NUC.

:blush:

4 Likes

I just performed an upgrade of my node for both disk and board.

Now it’s running on a Odroid HC2 board (8 cores, 2GB RAM) with a 8TB Seagate IronWolf HDD directly connected to the HC2 SATA port.

I previously posted the old hardware here.

7 Likes