Potato crypto offload

I am currently running a Storj node on an HP Microserver Gen1, and I’m interested in optimizing its performance by offloading encryption tasks to dedicated hardware. To that end, I have a couple of questions:

1. Encryption Type in Storj Node Software: Could someone clarify the specific type(s) of encryption used by the Storj node software? Understanding the encryption methods will help me in selecting the most appropriate hardware solution.
  2. Hardware Encryption Solutions: Given the constraints of my setup (HP Microserver Gen1), I’m looking for recommendations on compatible hardware solutions that could assist with encryption offload. The server has available USB ports and a PCI-E x1 slot. What options are available for:
  • USB-based solutions: Are there any reliable USB hardware encryption modules that would be suitable?
  • PCI-E x1 cards: Can you suggest any PCI-E x1 hardware accelerators that support the type of encryption used by Storj?

I could be wrong, but all encryption is done on the client side. What you receive is already encrypted.

5 Likes

Exactly like @donald.m.motsinger mentioned. You can run a node on a router:

The crypto being done in the storage node code is the standard TLS/DTLS protocol, which is used as a wrapper for node to satellite and node to uplink connections.

However, storagenode being written in golang, I don’t know whether it is even possible to offload these computations to anything external.

2 Likes