Problems migrating data from the docker to the gui version

Hello,

I switched from the Windows Docker version to the Windows GUI version, but the data already stored in the Docker version is not recognized by the GUI version. The Dashboard says under “Disk Space Remaining”: 1.0 TB. This is exactly the maximum amount of memory I want to make available. On my hard disk, however, 947 GB are already used, which still come from the Docker version. How can I make them usable again with the GUI version?

Thanks!

1 Like

Unfortunately in my experience Windows GUI version stores files directly in the folder used as storage from the docker run command while docker stores it inside storage folder. Due to this disparity your stats show it like its a brand new node, you can check the folder for the same. The only way to fix that is by combining the databases else you will start to fail audits. @Alexey can help you with combining them.

Secondly a guide is coming up on how to migrate from docker to Windows GUI so that should help.

1 Like

Yes, it’s exactly the same with me. Now i have two datasets. I hope someone can help me to combine them and not to fail the audits. I’ve stopped the node for now.

You can combine the blob folders by simply copying the few new files into the old blob folders. The databases are a bit trickier, but also not completely necessary. Your stats will be off a bit, but you won’t fail audits for missing stuff in the databases. I realize this is an incomplete answer though, but combining the database, while possible, would require a lot of scripting as it’s not just a matter of adding rows, there are also aggregates in there that would need to be combined. If you had your node running in the new setup for a really short time, it may not be worth the effort.

I’m afraid that won’t change anything. The old blob folders are not recognized at all.

That’s what it looks like in my case:

Apologies, I meant the blobs folder, the blob folder is no longer used. It seems your node prior to the windows version didn’t have the split databases yet. Hopefully that migration is automatically triggered when using the right folder. I can make a suggestion, but you really shouldn’t follow this unless someone from Storj confirms this may be the way to go.

Edit: Alexey confirmed this method below.

1. Copy the contents of the data\blobs folder to data\storage\blobs
  2. Point the windows version to the data\storage folder instead of the data folder
  3. Start the windows node and hopefully it will migrate the databases to the new structure

You’ll be missing updates in the databases since you moved to the windows version though. How long was your node running on the windows version?

Okay, thank you. Then I will wait until someone from storj gives his opinion on the problem.

My node ran under the GUI version for just 6 hours until I stopped it.

The change from the docker to the GUI version has by the way the following background:

Due to problems with Docker under Windows my node was offline since October 7, 2019. I had to reinstall Docker completely, but couldn’t get my node to work anymore. On October 14, 2019 I discovered that there is also a GUI version and decided to switch to that version. As already mentioned, this version only ran for 6 hours and unfortunately created a new data folder.

The question I’m asking myself now is whether it makes sense to keep the node running with the old data after such a long offline time. Or is my reputation already destroyed by the long offline time and it makes more sense to get me on the waitlist again with another email address and start a completely new node?

I’d say it’s definitely worth it. Your node will currently not be paused for downtime and reputation recovers faster than you think. If you give up your old node now you will lose all payouts in escrow as well. Depending on how long your node has been running that could be a lot.

@Alexey: Could you perhaps elaborate on whether the approach I mentioned in my previous post would be the right way to go for @Spectral?

Your answer is valid. This is a quickest way to start with a proper storage folder.
I can add that your docker container must be stopped and removed before the switch.
To restart a windows node you should use the Services applet or the elevated powershell:

Restart-Service "Storage Node"

It seems to work:

Thank you!

1 Like