Proposals to improve the visibility of the project

I have been an operator of STORJ for about 6 months and I believe that decentralized storage is a necessary reality. I am happy to participate in this project, I would like it to have a great future.

I have some proposals that I think will make STORJ more competitive and visible to the world. They may have been mentioned sometime in this forum, but they seem important to me.

• Charge customers only for storage/time and that they have access to their data for free. Most of the storage nodes are specific servers for storj and together with the great data redundancy of tardigrade I think the impact in their resources, bandwidth and in disk usage, would be minimal.
  • Associate with a browser. Due to the philosophy of the project, the ideal would be to join BRAVE and link BAT and STORJ tokens. Or to be able to pay with BAT on the STORJ platform. I think will increase the visibility of the project.

They are measures that will end up being applied one day in decentralized storage and I would not like storj is later. I suppose that these ideas will have technical limitations that I am not aware of, but my intention is constructive.

I have two questions

-What will happen when all the tokens have been distributed? Will the company buy storj on exchanges?
-When a client uploads data to the platform, how that information is distributed among the nodes?

I would appreciate your comments

1 Like

Keep in mind that it’s currently when customers download their data that SNOs get paid the most.
Making it possible to download customer data for free means that egress would become unpaid to SNOs (like it currently is the case for ingress).

2 Likes

Thanks for comment. I would like to know what is the level of redundancy of the information in storj. If the customer information was replicated in the minimum number of nodes to be safe, for example in 3. The profits per node would increase. What is the current cost per TB/M of the client?

Details on billing:

Redundancy is approximately 2.7, so users need to upload 2.7GB of data when sending a 1GB file (but uploading files to the network is free). Though, of course they get billed for storing 1GB (more or less, see link above for more details).

I see that the redundancy could be increased to 6.6 and the payments would be guaranteed. That’s fine. It is a stable ecosystem. Thanks for the info and your time. If you want to comment on the other things I have written I would appreciate it. I still think that we could improve the appeal of storj to the general public, I’ll think about it.

I do not see any relations between browser and STORJ tokens, really. Could you describe the use case for such relation?

Thanks Alexey for your interest. I think that a browser extension to access the uploaded files (similar to google drive) together with a flexibility in the payment currency would make our platform more interesting for the general public. I do not know the technical limitations to achieve it, I just think that the success of the project will depend largely on its accessibility and overcrowding. P.S. sorry for answering now, i don’t connect very often

It’s not easy actually because of client-side encryption and lack of browser’s ability to be multithreaded
You can read more there:
https://support.tardigrade.io/hc/en-us/articles/360035332472-Why-can-t-I-upload-from-the-browser-

But it could be possible to make such an extension with the Gateway MT:

Because you can have the similar experience with the Tardigrade S3 Gateway by opening the address http://localhost:7777 right now.

However it is still not clear why it’s need to be related to tokens?
We are focused on the storage - it’s our product, the token is a simple payment method, that’s all. You also can pay with Credit Cards for the storage, but will not have a discount in the last case.

1 Like

Thanks for the information, very interesting. Your team works hard to improve your service. There are constant updates on the platform. My utopian idea as a potential customer, node operator and frequent cryptocurrency user was to use storj and a browser extension and pay with storj, eth, bat, btc. Using fiat currency seems like a limitation to me.

I am holding my storj tokens, I think it will go up in price next to the altcoins market. But I would like you to answer me what you will do when you distribute all the tokens, you will buy on the exchanges. If so, the price of storj will rise a lot due to its scarcity

1 Like

You can pay for service in STORJ tokens without any relations between your browser and satellite UI: https://documentation.tardigrade.io/pricing/storj-token#using-storj-token

Regarding tokens - I’m not a financial advisor any kind and cannot predict the future.
But the plan is - if StorjLabs would run out of tokens they will be forced to buy them from the market to pay operators and contributors.
If you are interested more in tokens flow, you can read there:

1 Like