Pure uplink python

I think a pure uplink written in python will speed up the development of some project. Now we have a wrapper around go. Can you make a bounty like PHP?

1 Like

GitHub - utropicmedia/storj-python: Python bindings for libuplink

1 Like

Not purely programmed with python, wrapper around go

@nerdatwork - just an fyi - this is the one we maintain:

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi @marcossmith,

Thanks for the suggestion - we’re always glad to get feedback! What aspect of having a pure native language implementation would improve development speed? Currently we’re mapping data types from language-native constructs/primitives to those for libuplink. Happy to get some other suggestions to make things easier.

Thanks!

-K

Hi Karl, thanks for your reply, python is one of the most common uses languages. Development speed would be the same, but when you have a project with multiples OS, simplicity its better.

Its better
pip3 install uplink-python
than
Install go
export PATH=$PATH:$GOPATH/bin
A proper C/C++ compiler toolchain, like GCC
git clone -b v1.2.2 GitHub - storj/uplink-c: Uplink C library
go build -o libuplinkc.so -buildmode=c-shared

I feel like with a little adjustments that make storj easier to use, this project can fly.

Anyway, great, great work karl.

3 Likes

Hi @marcossmith -

Great feedback - thanks for taking the time to reply. The project was a team effort and we’re excited to keep pushing forward.

Have you tried:

pip install --no-cache-dir uplink-python

We publish to common package indexes. (uplink-python · PyPI) and welcome any feedback.

wrt the architectural approach - we made a decision early-on to build on top of the upstream libuplink from the Storj core engineering team for a few reasons:

• We get any core protocol improvements from a single upstream codebase
  • We Inherit any compatibility/roadmap policies the core team uses for future growth.(function deprecation, overloading signatures, etc.)

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

-K

edit: we have some doco for the project at Python Dev Documentation for Storj - we’ve been thinking about consolidating the dev documentation. Any suggestions?

2 Likes