Question about port forwarding & running multiple nodes

Hey guys! I am almost done setting up my 2nd and 3rd nodes thanks to all of you wonderful people on this forum helping me fix bugs and get everything working! My 1st node is fully functional, however, my 2nd and 3rd nodes are having issues. In the docker interface, the nodes appear to be online and functional, but when I go onto the Node Status Panel via my internet browser, the node says it is offline. I am thinking this is because I possibly could have failed to port forward the node correctly. When I entered the command to initially run the nodes in docker, I used the same no-ip address with the same port (28967) as the 1st, working node. Could this be the issue? Do you need multiple no-ip accounts or do you have to change the port in the docker code to the 2nd and 3rd nodes ports (28968 and 28969)? I’m pretty sure I port forwarded with my router correctly, for my 2nd node I entered the “Global Port Range” as {28968 - 28968} and the “Base Host Port” as {28967}. Is this the error or is that correct? Thank you for your help!

What were your docker run commands for nodes 2 and 3? You can run them all as 28967 but when forwarding your ports you will have to have the outside as 28968 forwarding to 28967.

Here is the command for the 2nd node (with just ip details)

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300 -p 28968:28967 -p 127.0.0.1:14003:14002 -e WALLET=“0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX” -e EMAIL="user@example.com" -e ADDRESS=“domain.ddns.net:28967” -e STORAGE=“2TB” --mount type=bind,source="",destination=/app/identity --mount type=bind,source="",destination=/app/config --name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:beta

3rd node command

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300 -p 28969:28967 -p 127.0.0.1:14004:14002 -e WALLET=“0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX” -e EMAIL="user@example.com" -e ADDRESS=“domain.ddns.net:28967” -e STORAGE=“2TB” --mount type=bind,source="",destination=/app/identity --mount type=bind,source="",destination=/app/config --name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:beta

You got the external port in both commands wrong. It should be -e ADDRESS="domain.ddns.net:28968" for node 2 and -e ADDRESS="domain.ddns.net:28969" for node 3. And you need to forward both ports in your router too.

3 Likes

You do not need a second NO-IP account, assuming you are using one public IP for all of your nodes. The NO-IP software ensures your public hostname always resolves to the current public IP address.

Each port is for a unique node, you need to ensure you set up port forwarding for each node’s port on your router or firewall.

If you use Uptime Robot, you need to additional probes for each port.