QUIC Misconfigured

Just wanted to say that, as for the forum, it would be good to have some sort of unified style for posts that imply some changes in configuration. For example you could add “configuration changes” in topic, or “SNO attention required”, etc. Unfortunately I don’t always read all topics and from the example’s topic “Experimenting with UDP based protocols” I can’t say If it is essential for me as an operator or not. Then again, there are tags “Node Operators, storagenode, help-wanted”, but I cannot say if it is crucial for node’s work or not.

1 Like

I need to to this to my docker container. If I do this, will my existing node be wiped out since its starting a new container? I don’t want to undo the last 10 months of patience. Thanks!

Removing a Storj docker container and recreating it is the right way of updating your run command, as actual configuration and stored data are outside of the docker container, in the case of Storj (might be different for other docker containers).

In short: removing a Storj docker container does not wipe your data.

You still need to be careful when restarting it though, so the run command targets the right folders for the node’s identity, and the node’s data.

2 Likes

I would just run it with the same command that I started it with except adding UDP 28967 (X’d out where needed for privacy). That a good idea?

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300 -p 28967:28967/tcp -p 28967:28967/udp -p x.x.x.x:14002:14002 -e WALLET=XXXX -e EMAIL=XXXX -e ADDRESS=“XXXX:28967” -e STORAGE=“16TB” --mount type=bind,source=“XXXX/share/storj/identity/storagenode/”,destination=/app/identity --mount type=bind,source=“XXXX/storj/data/”,destination=/app/config --name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:latest

You need to stop the container properly first, and remove it. Like so:

docker stop -t 300 storagenode
docker rm storagenode

Then you can run your initial command, with adjusted parameters, yes.

As a side note: for UDP, modifying the run command is not enough: the UDP traffic also needs to be forwarded by your router.

4 Likes

Yep, already forwarding UDP at the edge. Thanks for the help friend!

1 Like

Just wanted to follow up, after verifying my node was setup correctly, I did nothing.
After the latest update restarted my node a few days ago, QUIC shows OK. Leads me to believe this issue was on STORJ’s end or with the client.

You just need to restart the service/container after configuration has changed. If you didn’t - it will stay misconfigured until the next update/restart/reboot

As I said, I made no change, it was already configured correctly.

There is no magic. You need to restart the service/container, because QUIC check is happening only on start. Obviously you did not restart it before update.

You are of course welcome to continue insulting my intelligence. An update is when it started saying it was misconfigured and a subsequent update is when it resolved. It was never misconfigured.

I don’t know how much clearer I can be, I haven’t manually restarted my node in a long time, it restarts when your watchtower applies an update.

I did not want to insult you. If I did - I’m sorry.
The service requires restart to check the QUIC status. If it were not restarted for a long time - it will show misconfigured even if the problem is already fixed, until restart.
There is no change in the software related to QUIC, you can easily check this on GitHub, so unlikely there is any bug related to this check.

2 Likes

Good for you that it’s working now. Mine hade a problem because the command line was changed. Where you had to setup udp and tcp separate .

Can you please inform where to replace that for Docker on Windows?
In the config.yaml ? Should be just one line?
“-p 28967:28967/tcp -p 28967:28967/udp” ??
I don-t see “-p 28967:28967” entry in the file.

How do you run the node?
Look:

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300 -p 28967:28967/tcp -p 28967:28967/udp -p 127.0.0.1:14002:14002 -e WALLET=".....................................
1 Like

Sorry I don’t use Windows for this application, nor do I suggest to use it for an application running 24/7 without user intervention. In this case we need a low power (Watts), low resource (memory) cheap processor, like an Atom or Arm processor running Linux to have a chance to at least break even and make the system viable.
Anyways I was just warning that you should open the port in tcp and udp mode to avoid this QUIC warning.

I have set it up 2 years ago and each time I need to restart the pc it starts automatically, do you know where that command is?
thank you!

I know. In CMD.
I gave you a link to the documentation …

Ok, but I need to stop the node before running the command is that right?
And after the next reboot, will it start with the new values, or it will start with the ones the node was configured the first time?

In one CMD window:

docker inspect storagenode

You should find the information you need <identity-dir> and <storage-dir> - search ‘Mounts’

In the second CMD window:

1. Stop the running Storage Node container:
docker stop -t 300 storagenode
  1. Remove the existing container:
docker rm storagenode
  1. Copy the command into a text editor (the Notepad++ is recommended), do not use any word processor:
docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300 -p 28967:28967/tcp -p 28967:28967/udp -p 127.0.0.1:14002:14002 -e WALLET="0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" -e EMAIL="user@example.com" -e ADDRESS="domain.ddns.net:28967" -e STORAGE="2TB" --mount type=bind,source="<identity-dir>",destination=/app/identity --mount type=bind,source="<storage-dir>",destination=/app/config --name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:latest
  1. Edit the WALLET , EMAIL , ADDRESS , STORAGE and replace the <identity-dir> , and <storage-dir> with your parameters.

2. Copy the updated command.

3. Run it in a terminal window.

2 Likes