Raid, Possible uptime hdd reduction?

Hi,

Question. Couple of disks in RAID. Almost always spinning.
Is there a way to put a raid 1 ssd write cash in and flush it once a day to the raid?
Better lifetime hdd + less power usage. Possible? Will I get what I hoping for? Or is the read from the raid still to high to power them down for a while…

Any one done this and how?

depends on what kind of RAID you have used.
For a hardware RAID the answer is likely “No”, for software RAID - depends.
For zfs and Windows Storage Spaces likely - “yes”, but you need to provide more details about your setup.
In most cases the more effective setup is using one node per drive and use ext4 as a FS.
But if you have a RAID already for something else, then you can share a free space from it.

My understanding is he would like to spindown the hard drives during the day, use only SSD as a write cache and then, once a day, spinup the HDDs and flush the SSD to HDDs.
As clients are constantly downloading the data from the nodes, I would say this can’t be done, unless the SSD would hold it all, in which case there is no need to have any other drive in the system.

1 Like

thank you for your answer, think I am gonna try to turn my zfs node into just one HDD

Any tips to keep downtime at minimum?

In this case it’s better to use ext4 instead of zfs, zfs is good only in RAID setup and if you have a lot of RAM, otherwise ext4 would be a best choice.

yes,

1 Like

Hi, would something like this do for now and future proof? ASRock N100M

Depends on the usecase and the case.
i would not go with the passive cooled soldered cpu…and the only 2 sata III and
(LOL) 1 ram dimm slot. Its like an minipc. full of bottlenecks.

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600G, Prozessor 125€
Biostar A520MH 3.0, Mainboard 60€

fast shot, but way more safe for future imho.

What do ypu think about a refurbished microsemi motherboard with Xeon E3-1240v3, 32GB RAM DDR3 and raid controller

If you define an budged and the usecases, os to support,stats, and what you think is “future proof” ,
you will get better suggestions.

There are also servers for around 100 to get. but it depends on to much things.
not to mention your knowledge about that os.

Future proof would be nice. I would say I have an understanding about linux especially ubuntu. This moment looking for something that can host sia and storj longterm so power must be at low as possible because electricity is expensive 0.5€kw/h. I have an threadripper 1950x for projects that dont need to be 24h on.

So, how much and wich hdd’s are avaiable. Type,size, connector?

Utilizing available hardware is preferred.

Max 8 of 8tb sata nas hdd but would like to build up to 8

That does not sound as you could get somewhere near profitable especialy if you have to buy anything else than 1 or 2 drives.
Maybe the treadripper has an energy saving function? I would go with this pc and let it run 24/7

But storj and chia are more an hobby than a way to make money.

the threadripper is for other projects,

Gonna buy a used server for around 100$, HDD will be refurbished.

Check if they support 3.5 bays and linux.
Good luck.

Just for storj? This is a bad idea. This old hardware will consume tons of power on idle. Also avoid raid controllers. Use software solutions, like ZFS.

ZFS can still be good on one hdd to provide metadata separation onto a separate SSD, node benefits from this tremendously. Agree on ram, min 8, ideally 16 would be great; but this is true for other filesystems as well — more ram → more meta data in cache → faster response time → more races won → $$$.

ZFS also uses disk space more effectively when compression is enabled (it is by default) — space is not wasted on partial blocks. On my node this saves about 20% space.

Its gonna be sia and storj
Chassis: 2U 8x 3,5" bays
PDU: 560W
MB: X10SL7-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 3,3GHz or Intel Xeon E3-1240L v3 (25TDP)
RAM: 4x 8GB ECC
Rails: 19"
Raid/hba/sata/sas (onboard) controller

Will cost me 100$ should idle on 30W without drives

1 Like

sounds nice! (20 char)

Oh this one is a very nice board. You’ve got perfect config, at an unbeatable price. Slap TrueNAS core onto it and enjoy maintenance free bliss :slight_smile: