Raspberry 3/4 Node Owner - Did you do any optimizations?

Not sure, I pulled mine out of old mobiles

Whatā€™s the rationale for deactivating swapping?

my guess on a pi would be to avoid burning de sd card

if a pi starts swapping, it is responding so slow, you canā€™t really work with it anymore anyways.

LinuxNet: r u running 32 or 64 bit raspbian?

I only have a SanDisk Ultra 16GB microSDHC and always have one as a replacement at home.
Donā€™t buy expensive SD cards. The piā€™s like to punch them because the SD cards are actually not intended for so many write and read accesses.
At the moment the Pi4 is running in 32bit mode, Iā€™m probably a Noob xD, but Iā€™ve already used it with Raspian 64bit. But I had the problem with 64bit that some software still recognized the Pi as 32bit. But that was a few months ago, I cannot judge how it is today. so far I have no urgent need for 64bit and everything runs smoothly.

1 Like

Which filesystem did u format the CD card? ext4? fat32 ?

Formatted in FAT32 and the OS with Rufus or balenaEtcher flashed onto the SD card :slight_smile:

EDIT:
I forgot: I also save the Storj Log on the HDD. The log is not healthy for the SD and can quickly reach several GB

1 Like

Ah, good point! How did you configure this?

https://documentation.storj.io/resources/faq/redirect-logs

1 Like

Thx for the info. This doesnā€™t seem to use dockerā€™s way to log things thoughā€¦ ?

There must be a way to do this from the docker command I guess. Iā€™m not a big fan of tampering with config.yaml ^^ā€™

I use this in the command to start the storagenode on the PI that uses SD for the root :
"--log-driver none \" added to the standard command.
On the other PIs Iā€™ve moved root onto the HDD so I leave the log on.

You canā€™t go wrong if you stop the Docker. The node is not offline for more than 10 seconds. With Nodepad++ you can continue to follow the log live.

Right. How did you set that up? Changed fstab so / targets the external hard drive?

I see ^^ No log at all. I guess as suggested in Registry | Docker Docs another way would be to save logs to a RAMDISK: A few tens of MB should be enough I guess for each Node. Worth investigating.

I donā€™t think it is worth repeating how to move pi root as it is documented on the pi and os forums ā€¦

Not an optimization as such but for storj identity key generation on the pi4 :
32bit raspian 1 million keys = 4m12s (version 0.29.3)
64bit ubuntu 1 million keys = 0m48s (version 0.34.6)

1 Like

Is the performance improvement because of the 64bit OS? Impressive difference!

Itā€™s due to the hardware cryptographic instructions on the Rpiā€™s chips are only usable in 64 bit OSā€™s

In 32 bit it falls back to ā€œsoftwareā€ to run cryptographic instructions.

So the key generation gets a huge boost with the 64bit hardware in the chip doing most of the number crunching.

1 Like

I created a new identity yesterday with the Rpi4 and Raspian x32 ā€¦ Over 12 hours oO

Can anyone say something about the stability of Raspian x64?

LinuxNet: Did u ever consider to have the OS installed on an SSD/USB 3.0 drive? The read/write speeds are much higher compared to SD, and maybe the life-expectancy would be much longer since SSD/USB-sticks tolerate more read/write compared to SD cards?
Since there is no boot-supprt for USB on RPI4 today, the solution would be to have the boot-partision on the SD-card (BerryBoot), and the operating system files on the external USB hard drive instead of on the SD card itself. Any comments? Might improve storj-success rate?
By the way: How is your storj-success rate in ubuntu 64 bit compared to raspbian 32 bit ?

No difference. My experience is limited by the (slow) broadband speed.