Raspberry 3/4 Node Owner - Did you do any optimizations?

I currently have no comparison because at the time of Ubuntu I still saved the log in Docker. =/

My Failed Rate has risen sharply since Raspian x32, which is why I am switching to x64 again tonight … My new node has been running for 24 hours and has a Failed Rate of 82% which was significantly lower with Ubuntu. If it doesn’t get better with Raspian x64, I’ll go back to Ubuntu.

Don’t do that.

Create the identity on a more powerful processor and simply move the certs and keys to RPi …

1 Like

I know that. But I want to see the difference in how long I need with x32 and x64 Raspian/Ubuntu. Also, a Storj identity is not something I need in minutes…

Are you still getting 200$ a month?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure its recommended to generate it off of the raspi anyways as speed at which generating the identity was (or is?) to be used as one of the conditions for more data. Higher powered machines get more data.

Not sure if this ended up being the case or not. I generate many keys, one aftr another, on a powerful server and then distribute them to lesser powerful servers and raspi and such.

Definitely not true. Identity generation is only meant to throw up a roadblock to those who want to spin up thousands of nodes at once. It is and was never intended to be used to get more data. Otherwise the advise to generate it on another machine would be advise to cheat that system.

The only advantage is that the identity will be generated faster. That’s it.

4 Likes

Hows your 64 bit storj node going? got any success/failed rates yet?

@LinuxNet You mention Raspian x64 …? Can you point me at the image please as I can’t find it? :thinking:

My standard Raspian image reports armv7l so 32bit…

Thanks!

Unfortunately x64 is not yet officially available. But you can easily switch to 64bit

execute via ssh sudo rpi-update then insert arm_64bit=1 into /boot/config.txt and restart the Pi.

Check with uname -a

@paulie1001 I will report tomorrow.

2 Likes

Nice one @LinuxNet - Thanks ! Done.

I’ll see if it makes any obvious difference over the next few days…

@LinuxNet Have you tried the new Ubuntu 20.04?

So far I can see no real difference between Raspian x32 and Raspian x64. Even a new SD card makes no difference. Neither with the RPi3 nor the RPi4. The fact that my success rate will decrease is more likely due to the new second node at home because now every node has only a 50 percent chance of winning the race.

Unfortunately, Raspian x64 is still not supported by all packages and sometimes still recognized as a 32bit system.

My new Raspi 4 comes next week where I install Ubuntu x64 again. Then I can compare both systems live.

@VinC No, I had / have Ubuntu 18.04. The image was adapted to the RPi 4 with 4GB. Google -> Raspberry Pi 4 Ubuntu Server / Desktop 18.04.4 Image (unofficial) from Jameschambers

did u try raspbian buster lite and add “arm_64bit=1” to the /dev/config.txt ?

Sure. see my screenshot 6 posts above.

Edit: not in /dev rather /boot

No, I had / have Ubuntu 18.04. The image was adapted to the RPi 4 with 4GB. Google → Raspberry Pi 4 Ubuntu Server / Desktop 18.04.4 Image (unofficial) from Jameschambers

Thanks for this info, is this stable enough for production use? Would like to try it on my next node.

I only used it until 18.04.2 and it was very stable. I only had one problem with Unbound and PiHole which is why I switched back to Raspian at some point. However, I will install version 18.04.4 on my new RPi next week. The last update is from February.

This doesn’t sound right: the added node will half the chance of the first node to participate in a race (by stealing the second half) but once it enters the race the success rate should remain almost the same (of course if the network link did not become the limiting factor).

2 Likes

Oh ok then I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the wrong information! For the rest, I don’t notice any difference with the “old” node. With almost 250GB of traffic, both nodes are the same this month.

Unfortunately, I cannot determine the success rate for my new node. The script only prints zeros.

I am sorry for late answer :smiley:
No unfortunately, it was this much only in January and around 100USD in December when they were heavily testing the network. Now it is more like 10USD per month. But it still pays for the electricity and I earn at least 5USD.
What about you? How much are you earning lately? :slight_smile:

RaspberryPi OS64bit is now available
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=275370

3 Likes