Raspberry pi2b - How to host a node

Hi there, i was a former node operator, years ago. I want to come back to what it! My question is: is it possible to run a node with 3HDs merged (only one) on RPi2? If so how?

Hello @toma ,
Welcome to the forum!

You may try. However, it’s not recommended to use merged disks (spanned, mergefs, RAID0, JBOD, LVM/zfs simple pools, etc.): with one disk failure the whole node is gone.

The key factor would be a memory, the node can use up to 800MB (usually 80MB-150MB) with high load and normal disk subsystem on ext4, so if you have only 512MB on your RaspberryPi 2 then it could fail with OOM especially if your disk is slow (the node will start to use much more RAM in this case).
You also need to use a headless OS to do not use too much RAM, and it also should be capable to run docker.

See:

However, please note - some tuning settings from this guide cannot be applied to rpi2, they are applicable only to pi3 models.

Does anyone have a guide on how set it up? The model has 900mhz and 1gb ram! I’m searching for it without success!

I “think” the CPU on the rpi2 is too many revisions behind. I looked into this about a year ago and I recall it not working because of this. If you have an rpi3 it will work fine, but I believe a 2 is not compatible.

2 Likes

I guess it would be possible to cross compile for the target cpu, perhaps with the older version of go, but likely won’t be worth the efforts. You can buy rpi4 for $75 from Newark today, or get any of the zoo or clones. Some even have a pair of sata ports, which can help make in into an interesting appliance for storj: disk + SSD.

1 Like

You may try to setup a node using the guide for Raspberry Pi3, provided above. There is no specific guide for Raspberry Pi2 and unlikely will be, because nobody uses it or able to setup. You may be a first one who would try.
Please report back about your adventure, and in case of success we can make a such guide together.

2 Likes