Realistic earnings estimator

if you will have 46tb of data, that wil hapen after some years. then it will be 46tb*1.5= 69$ a month.

• for egress but this amount * 6$ but this amount no one know how much will be.
1 Like

I would say the egress is around 5% of the stored data at the moment, at least here. That would be roughly 2.3TB egress for 46TB of stored data, times 6 = $13.8.
So in summary, it would be $82.8 a month with a possibility the egress will go down a little once the node is full.

2 Likes

I’ve made some adjustments to the metrics used in the calculator. I don’t think it was as optimistic as you said even before my changes, but it now comes down to around $84 with that setup, which is more in line with what I’m seeing on my nodes. Keep in mind that older nodes will have more test data on saltlake which is paid at a lower rate (this is not accounted for in the calculator as no new test data is being pushed to nodes and I didn’t feel like separating out satellites for something that won’t be relevant to new nodes anyway.)

Please be aware: I don’t have good stats at the moment on expected rate of deletion of data due to the massive removal of data from test satellites. These stats are severely outdated. A while back we saw about 25% of new data being deleted in the same month + 0.8% of longer stored data. These values have a big impact on how long it takes to fill a node and I have a feeling they are a little optimistic at the moment. I will try to update this in about a month time when we have a normal month of nodes running without massive clean up of test data as well as the new deletion process through garbage collection.

Changes I made include lower egress on both statically stored data as well as newly incoming data. Also a lower percentage of repair per data stored. Both result in lower egress pay for normal and repair egress. However, I have increased the ingress amount as it seems our nodes are receiving a little more data than previously.

3 Likes

Real data: with 63 TB of data that in the last 3 months didn’t varied too much, I made between 150-200$ per month. Egress is so unpredictable.

1 Like

You probably had lots more data during those months because the test data was still there and egress was still $20. Your current pay will likely be a lot lower. For reference, I have 56TB right now and payout for July will be about $100.

Yep. 200$ 4 months ago on 50TB. Last month only 150$ with 63TB and GE on 2 sats. Don’t know if the held back was returned or not.

It usually returned in the next payout cycle.

Ah see, not that easy. @Pentium100 never said ingress was 0, just that storage isn’t growing. Which means ingress is equal to the amount of deletes. I’m pretty sure 700GB (which isn’t an assumption, but a number based on recent performance across around 10 independent nodes) is pretty accurate for their node as well. Ingress isn’t the challenge, the node reports that number. The more difficult ones is to find out how much of that ingress is deleted in the same month and how much of statically stored data is removed every month. It’s definitely possible that I’m underestimating deletions. It’s also challenging that this data fluctuates and I don’t want to change the numbers every month, but rather provide something that is representative for average network performance.

1 Like

ya All aware there is an earnings calculator easy configurable to individual and actual values?

its standard values are quite outdated atm. maybe he is here somewhere in the forum also?

You can do the same with the sheet. You just have to copy it to your own google account, then you can change whatever you like. But I like to keep the defaults representative, because new node operators will have no clue what to fill in for those values. The logic is mostly similar, with the biggest difference that mine now differentiates between deletes as related to new incoming data vs deletes related to static long term storage. That makes a huge difference, especially on newer nodes. When I last looked into this, about 25% of new data is removed in the same month. That’s pretty huge.

1 Like

Thats all nice and good work, my concern is that the newbie node operator will fall for the easy one. easy access, easy to use.

no matter how hard we try, it will be always an estimate. I think its more important to let newbies know, since some dissapointed people showed up lately. imho it has to be writen right there:

as an big fat red sing

1 Like

Sorry, that was sloppy on my part. No matter how much ingress or deletions you have, your calculator estimates roughly 600 extra GB every month.
After one year, I would have over 6TB according to your estimator. Last node had 3TB after over a year. Don’t remember exact numbers but it was way off. My guess this time it will be the same. If anything, there used to be growth back then which now seems to be gone.

Yeah, thats me.
You are right, the values are outdated and the statistics from my own nodes are Not taken into Account in the Right way :see_no_evil:
I will fix That, sorry.

2 Likes

I have an 18 month old node which has about 8TB now. That’s a little less than the 9.91 predicted, but not much. And since this year has seen higher ingress than last year for the most part, it may be more accurate for future nodes. It’s an estimate. If I’m only 20% off, I’m very happy. It’s not realistic to expect more accuracy than that in such a volatile network.
And the data is a little messy now with the exit of 2 satellites. I’ll keep a close eye on things to see where it needs to be adjusted though. It’s unfortunate that the node doesn’t report how much data is deleted, as that would make my life a whole lot easier. Now this number always needs to be derived from comparing ingress vs data growth.

3 Likes

Nice to meet you here!

You were the one who brought me to StorJ!

Now i have 2 Nodes myself. (Windows GUI)

Maybe there is some data to share for the estimator. Between @BrightSilence and @unrealSpeedy
Also on the webside should be clear visible that its expected to run on already owned hardware.

But don,t overengineer it, because token economics and customers make it realy unpredictable. That should be mentioned too.

So i learned a lot about blockchain and ethereum.

Thank You :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Will you adjust the calculator the the newest payout rates?

2 Likes

Of course. It has been adjusted.

1 Like