Realistic earnings estimator

Yeah, I’m just pointing to a thread with some discussion on this topic. If you want to continue this discussion, it would be best to do so in that thread.

1 Like

Unfortunately no. In order to get data durability and repair capability, there is an inflation factor of about 2.7x. So for every TB stored Storj pays out just over $4. They still take a loss, though a slight one. However, with storage income Storj Labs also has to compensate for expensive repair processes. So the actual loss on data stored is fairly significant as well.

This is not uncommon for startups, but at some point it will have to change.

6 Likes

So… this has been bothering me for a while. I recently started 2 new nodes to check the vetting progress for the earnings calculator. But that also gave me data of nodes with ingress, but no previous storage. This allowed me to better quantify the impact of recently uploaded data on egress and deletes. Using this information I have now significantly updated the estimator to keep in mind the rate of egress and deletes on recently uploaded data (only customer uploads, repair uploads do not impact this). I also took some time to replace the ranges with variable names so the formulas are a lot easier to read. Unfortunately when copying the sheet to the public version it prefixed the sheet name to all variables which broke the highlighting. I haven’t yet found a way to fix that, so it is what it is for now.

I think the first few months now look a LOT more realistic when comparing to my new nodes. Hopefully this will be a little more encouraging for prospective node operators as well.

Note: The old version is available in a different tab for reference. At some point I will remove that, but for now you can use it to compare old and new. As always, I would appreciate any feedback!

6 Likes

How do I download the earnings estimator?

How do you edit the earnings estimator?

There are links in the top post. You can fill in your inputs on the shared sheet. If you want to make other changes you need to save it to your own google account.

I can’t edit disk size or internet speed.

I don’t know how I can save the file in my google account. No button or save appears.

Someone else just made edits, so they are definitely editable. You can make a copy in the file menu, but I think you need to log in to your google account first.

I was able to open it. Open from google docs.

Is it better to have one or two nodes on the same ip?

Once the two nodes have been audited.

Would they be filled in the same amount having a single node or two nodes?

Yes, there would effectively be no difference. The estimator effectively shows you the performance of a single ip (technically per /24 IP range). Though each node adds some overhead, so it’s always best to follow the advise of one node per HDD.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Can I create a second node behind the same public IP address with a new Auth Token?

Hey everyone, I’ve updated the network stats for the estimator again based on recent behavior. Usually the adjustments are fairly small and I just implement them without further mention, but I think this time there is reason for some excitement. So I wanted to post an update.

In recent months we’ve seen improvements on pretty much all metrics.
Ingress has gone up, egress per amount of data stored has gone up and repair egress has gone up.

• This has moved the theoretical limit where nodes stop filling up further because deletes match ingress all the way to 75TB, which used to be around 40TB.
  • Nodes fill up at about 6TB per year in early years now, which used to be around 4TB per year.
  • Average expected earnings per TB are now around $3.30, which used to be below $3.

Storj is growing! So that’s great to see.

As always, please let me know if you don’t recognize these numbers.
Note: Geofencing is possible now and may have a small impact on numbers depending on the region of the node. The estimates are based on data collected from nodes with good performance and 400mbps-1gbps synchronous connections hosted in the Netherlands and Germany. Your results may differ slightly.

11 Likes

yeah, this month my new node in 15 days got 100gb size on disk.

1 Like

I have been running a node since end of february, and the earnings estimator by @BrightSilence pretty much estimated exactly what I earned. I have a 5TB drive connected via USB, and in June (month number 5) I have 1TB filled and earned a running total of $4.82, with $6.60 held.

A few things that are different for me than what the estimation was: I am seeing way more deletes (of probably recent data), more a 50% ratio of delete/ingress. I am also seeing more egress traffic than estimated, again approximately a factor 2 difference, which so far makes up for the smaller amount of data.

With current gas prices, I can use $3 of these to activate my L2 wallet and I will soon be able to withdraw Storj to L1 (e.g. an exchange), although that probably doesn’t make sense until I have at least $60-$70 due to fees and minimum withdrawal.

4 Likes

This tool is surprisingly accurate. I just finished my second year with the first 4 nodes I created in July 2020. I have 8 nodes now (one per each of my 8 drives) and 32TB shared to the network. The spreadsheet estimates I’d have 12 TB stored and earning $40/month. I currently have 13.5 TB stored and this month estimated to earn $46. If it has not been for the increase in repair the past few months the estimator would be spot on.

5 Likes

Cannot confirm. :rofl:
But anyway, happy for you. :+1:t2:

I appreciate the feedback from everyone and I’m happy to see it’s quite accurate for many. I try to adjust where needed based on my own measurements and user feedback.

@Bivvo if you could share a little more about why it’s not accurate for you, I’d be happy to look into why your node may deviate or where I might need to adjust.

Keeping in mind what I mentioned here:

2 Likes

nodeJoinedAt : 2021-05-11T20:11:13.633935Z

With 10 TB à 100 Mbit down / 40 Mbit up I should have at least 7 TB of used storage and around 26$ income out of it.

My current status is: 3.76 TB and July 16$ / this month 20.4$ expected.

That’s pretty much exactly half of what you would expect. That suggests you may have another node competing with yours in the subnet.

Is this the only node you are running?
Did you check for other nodes in your subnet? (you can check here: Neighbors )

Yes.

And: “0 nodes were found in the subnet reachable within the last 24 hours”