Reducing the number of nodes in the US by almost 20% since May

whats up bro ?!

05 23

now

In 2.5 months, the number of nodes in the most important US market decreased by almost 20%.

Am I imagining or did something go wrong with the castration of prices initiated by the management of the storj?

thanks.
bye.

2 Likes

The market will deal with it, the supply and demand as well.

1 Like

Oversupply of nodes corrected itself. I think it’s a win. The compensation adjustment worked as designed. You, however, seem to be upset for some reason, judging by your tone.

1 Like

National pride I believe :smile:

For me personally, it doesn’t matter how many nodes are in the USA (I’m from Europe), however, for the quality of the network for such a huge market as the USA, it’s better to have more nodes.

And so yes - I agree that keeping nodes in the USA for $ 1.5 per terabyte, egress can not even be considered at the moment, does not make the slightest sense, given the cost of everything in the USA.

So most likely we will see further reduction of nodes in the US, and a decrease in the speed of the storj in the US

1 Like

I think you’re assuming a lot of things regarding performance.
Pieces will be uploaded to better performing nodes regardless of where they are.
What you may see is more full nodes in the US, and then probably more nodes in the US being spun up by those who are still β€œin the game”.
I am not convinced there will be a measurable impact on network performance but I’m sure the Storj network engineers will be keeping a very close eye on it.

1 Like

It’s not only the USA. If you look at that graph of yours both Finland and Germany have also dropped whilst Russia has gained significantly.

That to me seems a far bigger potential problem for the network. But one that, once again, Storj identified and mitigated against.

Bunch of clever cookies, they are :smiley:

2 Likes

I think the Russia risk is actually a political one mainly rather than a technical one.

1 Like

You will likely see a reduction in node numbers across the board where energy prices are high.
Given the price of electricity I certainly don’t expect to ever see large numbers of Storj nodes in Australia as one example.

1 Like

Undoubtedly but it would be naΓ―ve to think that one cannot have consequences for the other.
The idea of β€œcutting Russia off the Internet” is not new. And if Storj, as an American company, were to be mandated by law to stop any association with Russia then that would lead to a similar end result.

Actually, not the political risk I was thinking of. It’s a point of leverage that can be used against Storj, Particularly by those competitors who do geofencing by default and not by special arrangement.

Storj already excludes nodes from all sanctioned countries officially prohibited from receiving payments from US companies. So if Russia were to be added to the list of countries that are completely blocked from receiving payments from US companies, Storj Labs will of course comply.
This is different from the optional geofencing to EU or US regions that can be requested by enterprise customers for other reasons than complying with the US government sanctions.

3 Likes

Again, not at all what I am thinking of here. What I am thinking of is what would the reaction of client be if for example a competitor in Germany advertised that by being a client of Storj their (customer) data was in part being stored in Russia. Yes, geo-fencing can be offered. but it isn’t the default.

I don’t know of any competitor for Storj, right now. Storj is unique.

Thanks for looking out for the sales team. Issues of data sovereignty arise regularly based on a variety of customer use cases. Customers ask about data placement and node characteristics as part of almost any engagement. To date, this hasn’t impacted any customers or prospects in ways we were not easily able to address.

This is an interesting hypothetical scenario, but not the worst that a competitor can do to disrupt a sale. This is the type of objection we are used to addressing.

7 Likes

I don’t see how that’s in any way a bigger hurdle for customers to overcome than the fact that ALL nodes are inherently operated by untrusted randos. You either understand and rely on a zero trust architecture protected by cryptography or you don’t.

4 Likes

Because the Anti-Russian hate out there is understandably at extreme levels.
My wife works for a Western company yet she has had her salary stolen several times by European and Ukr groups within the accounts team of her company and that sort of stuff is not uncommon now. It is one of the reasons we are still here since we have not received the actual income we should have by now. This type of hate often gets expressed at any companies who still deal with Russia or Russians (even those who have left the country) in any way.

1 Like

Can’t blame the people for a dictator’s madness. But, yeah, the predominant sentiment is against russians in general, altough is a wrong one.

3 Likes

To be honest some people are very stupid in that thing and not understand that one day it will be turn against them if things like this will be discovered.

2 Likes