Run a node without docker

how can I run a node without docker?

Hi, welcome to the forum.

You do not need docker with a GUI install on windows. In the docs under setup, chose “GUI Install - Windows”.

Here is a video tutorial on the setup.

1 Like

@Enzo thanks very much, I am not on Windows though.

On that docs page there is a linux cli install section as well but that includes only docker based installation

Yes, with a CLI install you must use docker. You can only NOT run docker on windows.

Extract storagenode binary from docker image, create systemd service, edit config.yaml
Check this post where i ask for arm binary.

But if you have docker image for you platform simple use docker cp command

@Enzo No you don’t HAVE TO run Docker. You don’t even have to use the precompiled binary. I’v been running my node for weeks by now, with a self-compiled storagenode binary.

@smurfix @Krey thanks, all working nicely.

Ok, thanks @smurfix, good to know! :slight_smile:

Sorry to revive this thread.
I am trying to install Storj on my ReadyNAS but its OS is based on Debian Jessie so I can’t install Docker (needs Stretch or Buster).
I am not very well versed in Linux, so I wonder if anyone could point me to a more step-by-step instruction manual on how to install Storj without docker?
Or is it a REALLY bad idea to do so?

Many thanks :slight_smile:

Wait… what? Wheezy is older than Jessie. If Jessie doesn’t support it, there’s no way Wheezy can.

D’oh!
I meant Stretch or Buster. Sorry! I’ve amended my post.

We are working on Linux binary and updater packed into popular package distribution formats.
Stay tuned!

5 Likes

Thank you, looking forward to sudo apt-get install storj :smiley:

I run Storj without docker some months. I wrote updater script in powershell. You can look it in my github. https://github.com/Krey81/Storj/tree/master/Storj3Updater
Also there is a sample for systemd service file.

1 Like

I am running it on a VPS service for (uncool reasons) and it only works with linux kernel 2.6.x no updates. It sucks. Please provide the binaries instead of docker. I understand docker it much easier developer wise but it really hinders us slave to Docker C-level decisions. Compilable binaries FTW! Love you guys, and please pay more for the user, it is pennies atm and with energy and internet costs in developed countries, I am paying to support you, out of sheer love.

You can build them yourself from the source

The more wide distribution is in the progress

Hi is there an eta on a non docker ubuntu package as have nodes waiting to go.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why you can’t use Docker?

Hello @stretch,
Welcome to the forum!

Soon :tm:

2 Likes

:laughing: :upside_down_face: