Seagate Exos X18 12TB 7200 RPM - Acceptable for Storage Node?

Hey All -

I’m considering purchasing this 12 TB hard drive, but the low price seems too good to be true. Does it have any characteristics which would make it a poor choice for a node operator?

Seagate Exos X18 12TB 7200 RPM 512e/4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch Enterprise HDD ST12000NM000J

The disk is already used, if the pictures are made with the real disk for sale the production date is 14. august 2021.
Just read the description at amazon and you will see, there is only a gurantee for 90 days, not 5 years.

So, the answer to OPs question is “yes”. It’s an excellent price for 1 year old disk. Even if you lose seagate warranty (you won’t) it will still be worth it.

I myself exclusively buy used, up to two years old drives from eBay, for over a decade now. The amount of money saved is ridiculous. And I’m yet to have to replaced one of them due to failure, only due to needing more capacity.

If the disk survived first 3 months it’s a good disk.

2 Likes

Good catch, thank you!

Aside from the warranty, do any specs about this HDD concern folks?
For example, if I were to purchase it new and not used, would it be a good choice?

Depends on the price, if you pay double but only get one more year of life out of it compared to the drive that has been used for a year, then that does not seem as economical.

BTW - I usually pay around $200 on Ebay for new 14 TiB WD HC530 drives so at $125 that seems like a great deal.

I’ve bought many of the exos drives. They are excellent usually, but they can be a little loud if that’s something you care about.

Failure rates for Seagate are a little higher than competitors, but it’s like 2% annual failure rate compared to some competitors who have below 1% failure rates. It’s still low enough that the lower price is usually more economic in the long run anyway.