Servers and other ideas?

Storj has access to a TON of computing power. Is storj thinking about offering Virtual Servers or web servers? Expanding into any markets outside of storage ? Cloud computer type stuff?

Is there as anything like that being offered at this time and if so how do I become a part of that as well?

1 Like

Not sure about that, the initial idea behind Storj is to use already on or unused devices, and I’m sure many of us run it on light powered devices like RPis, NAS etc. so it does not consume much electricity ^^
Some do have beefy computers running Storj but their power is dedicated to something else (hopefuly, otherwise that would probably not be profitable).

As far as I’m aware, there is no plan to provide computing power to clients so far. Storj is only about storing files in a decentralized cloud at the moment.

4 Likes

You never know what the future might bring, but there are no plans for that right now. As I understand it, there is not a good way to keep data private if you want to process that data. So, while the storage can be encrypted first and then uploaded to the network, if you wanted to process that data, you would need to unencrypt it and expose it to the host. That would be a security risk. And your data could potentially be altered.

Storj would need a different model with trusted servers as a service. Perhaps when the company is big enough that they can buy out Microsoft and Amazon. :wink:

8 Likes

Something like this would essentially be a totally different project. Maybe they could call it ComputR, lol. There are other projects doing things with compute resources such as Golem (GLM). Not sure of the current status of the project but if your looking for somewhere to point your compute resources you should check it out. I believe there are others but I haven’t kept up on all that as much lately.

Storj has zero access to computing power the only thing they have access is hard drives…

3 Likes

My little nas barely has the strength to stay on… :smiley:

6 Likes

Hi Joel,

Storj is object storage (File storage) much in the same way as Amazon S3 or Microsoft Azure, the storage component of both. You can store and retrieve data. The benefits of Storj are its low cost and high availability due to its distributed nature.

Storj is S3 compatible, so most apps that support S3 will also support Storj.

If you like, I can have someone from the Storj Sales team reach out to you and give you a more detailed breakdown of the product and can answer any of your questions you may have.

Thanks
Knowledge

2 Likes

Sounds good, I have forwarded your questions to one of our executives, and they or someone will reach out to you soon. It is the weekend though so you may not get a response until Monday morning but some of the team does work on weekends so we will see what happens.

Thanks!
Knowledge

1 Like

Most of useful resources about Storj you can find on our site storj.io, such as:

And information for developers:

As a Customer you may pay with a Credit Card and/or STORJ tokens (and have +10% bonus to your balance). So, if you do not want to have a deal with a cryptocurrencies, you may not use it as a payment method and still get all benefits of Storj network to reliable store and retrieve your data. Tokens just a simple way to pay for the service.
If you would use a native integration, you would have additional benefits such as end-to-end encryption, flexible access rights and CDN-like behavior due to distributed nature of the network.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that there is a specific framework except Go itself, but for integration you may use our uplink library: Libuplink Walkthrough · storj/storj Wiki · GitHub

Thank you! Do you use a particular framwork for Go? Ty

For Go and backend we aren’t using any specific framework but we have bunch of libraries which you can find here storj/go.mod at eabd9dd994e154107ea71a1742daa35e33e902e2 · storj/storj · GitHub. Frontend is mainly in Vue 2/3.

requirements:

• A linux machine with the x86-64 architecture
  • Nested virtulization enabled in the BIOS

flaw: set the price for using your pc yourself.(non-GUI afaik) so all high energy cost countrys are propably out.